Rasputin's Vista Ulimate 64bit Sp1 Log

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

I will try to give as much info on the Software and hardware as I can along with the set up of Vista. Anything I have missed just ask.

As some of you will know I build a new PC :

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->520W Corsair HX Series Modular PSU,
Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard, USB 1
Xclio 3060 PLUS Black Silver Midi T
Logitech G9 Laser Mouse, 3200dpi,
Intel Core 2 Duo, E8400, Wolfdale C
22" Viewsonic VA2216W, Widescreen
640 GB Western Digital WD6400AAKS C
200 GB Western Digital cav
512MB HiS HD4870, PCI-E 2.0 (x16),
8GB (4x2GB) Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2
Pioneer DVR-216DBK 20x DVD±R, 12x D
Asus P5Q-EM, iG45, S 775, PCI-E 2.0 <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I ordered Vista Ulimate 64 SP1 OEM from scan the other day and got it the next day"as always with scan". I had some issues installing it mainly after booting from DVD, the "windows is copying files" screen came up when the loading bar, but that is when everything went Pete Tong. the Blue-green screen would come up and the mouse pointer but no dialog boxes even when leaving it for 5-10 minstried restarting it for about 2-3 hours and still no luck. I remembered at this point that nelly had said something about the RAM slots, so I removed all the RAM bar 1 2GB stick and the 200 GB Western Digital drive, booted up and left it for ages and a dialog box came up. Ran through the install partitioning the 640 GB drive into two partitions of 298GB and 297 GB. I have no idea where the missing 40GB has got too might just be one of those things, but I am not bothered. I installed Vista on the first partition "C:\" seemed the logical choice. I didn't set a password on the install or after for me and only have one user account, after that the install went smoothly.

Vista was up and running so I started to install drivers for the hardware, Motherboard drivers installed with no hassle or so it seemed. After installing the mobo drivers Vista needed to restart but I installed the graphics driver first then I restarted and on boot "BSOD" with a physical memory dump, everytime I tried to boot. So I booted in to safe mode with networking. It booted OK. Removed the graphics driver, then installed the genric windows driver for the graphics card. Rebooted and up it came in normal mode. Ran windows update and updated, once again I had to restart. Booted into the "BSOD" SafeMode again and rebooted Normal Mode and it was fine installed the latest ATI Drivers "BSOD" half way through the install, Rebooted "BSOD" SafeMode again delete the graphics card driver, reboot Normal Mode was fine.

At the moment I am running OK, I have the windows graphics driver and all the RAM and HDD's in the PC but I have issues restarting. Once it is up and running I have no problems but if I need to restart I either get no display on booting Vista or "!BSOD"!!! then have to boot to SafeMode,0 restart and boot to normal mode.

I have to say that I don't like the look, Feel or reliability of Vista but then I was the same with XP and any Linux distro until I got used to it.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Thane
Advanced Member

Post by Thane »

Try different RAM sticks if you can, can you try the vid card in another PC?
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

I had the PC running on XP SP3 32Bit for about two weeks maybe one week before with no hassle at all.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Hi Ras, been reading up on a few forums, looks like its the latest drivers are to blame for ati bsod fun. Peeps are using slightly older 8.10 drivers without the hotfix not the latest and they run ok it seems, loads of issues with running 2 cards which is still driver related to ati crap drivers. Looks like the ati eye is off the ball.

Nelly.

From another forum a solution to crossfire bsod so might work for you mate.:

1- Remove all ati drivers with control panel and reboot.
2- Run driver sweeper and clean ati drivers, reboot.
3- Install display drivers only and only those with the Cd of the Graphic Card. Reboot.
4- Install display drivers 8.11 (only display drivers) (Download option 2 "Display drivers 21.7MB") and reboot (if a card is disabled, disable the card and enable her).Reboot.
5- Install CCcenter 8.11 only (without display drivers, very important, download option 2, 43.7MB).

Good luck.
Last edited by Nellyboy on Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Cheers Nells will give that a go later

I can't find the 8.10 all the links go to 8.11
Last edited by Rasputin on Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Got new issues now!!

Ok this was a bit odd and I am not sure if this is a Vista issue or just a firefox issue but When using FireFox 3.0.4 if I exit out then open it again I lose all my book marks and history, also when I am on a web page nothing shows in the address bar. If I reboot the whole machine then it is fine. Odd!

Durning the FireFox thing I restarted then got the error "can not read boot sector" file /boot/DCH missing(Might not have been DCH) So I had to put the Vista disk in and repair windows but as with the install I could not get a dialog box to appear. So I removed all RAM the other HDD and the other CD drive and then got the dialog box up after and few billion attempts and it took all of 3 secs to fix the boot error. But I had spent 3+ hours trying to fix a simple error :(

Still haven't had time to try and follow your steps Nelly, I will see what I can do tonight.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

I dont think ff is fixed yet for 64bit Rasputin. I am giving google chrome a go at the moment which is fine and fast just flash support is well not there yet. Trying a fix tonight for flash sites.
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Grrr, Started the solution that nelly give about half way through "Cannot Read Boot Sector"
Rasputin

ImageImage
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Sounds like a bit more than a graphics driver issue Rasputin. I would check what hdd the boot sector is actually on mate. I had the same issue when I was dual booting. I removed the xp hdd and bam no boot cos boot sector was on the xp hdd not vista. Messy indeed. I did fix it with the vista 64 recovery cd after an hour or 2.
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Rasputin

ImageImage
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Rasputin, on further reading it seems a lot of boards cannot power 4 x 2gb sticks on default voltage. Too low voltage can cause lockups and just plain not booting. I would up the voltage the smallest increment and see if it improves stability.

Just trying to help.
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Cheers nelly, I will consult the manwell to see how to do that.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Ok I have solved some of teh issues. The Boot Sector I think was down to a Cable as I have been using a new one and it seems to be running fine. I have also dropped dwon to 6 (3*2) Gb RAM and running on 8.7 Cats.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

All you need to do now is remove Vista and it'll be complete ;)
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

/chuckle