Video Editing Help

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

A good friend of mine is expecting me to wave a magic wand and solve his problem with editing video files. I guess because I work in IT he thinks I am an expert at everything! (Just because I can speak Italian, doesn't mean I can translate Russian).

Anyway - He has a copy of Pinnacle Studio 8 and has some .avi files from his camera, but when he tries to produce edited files he has no sound.

I haven't ever done any video editing....what should I ask him to check or what are the pitfalls that may cause a loss of sound? Or is the task of producing a DVD from .avi files a nightmare?

Cheers
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

codecs?
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

MediaInfo should give you the details of the movie clips you are trying to work with.

<a href="http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en" target="_blank">http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en</a>

From there we should be able to help more.
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Thanks Guys...I'd forgotten that my sister-in-law does a lot of this stuff and first thing she said was "Codecs". I'll try that first. Then she said, forget pinnacle and use Windows Movie Maker for simple stuff. She user Adobe Premier :blink:. She also said some software just dont like AVI files and also to uncheck all the "filters".

Will let you know.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

I was going to suggest windows movie maker, its what i used to get all the footage i needed off a mini dv cam :)
Thane
Advanced Member

Post by Thane »

The windows one is good for simple users, Adobe Premier if very good though :)