Hdx 1000 Nmt Player

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Hi fellas, looking to get a media player for under the telly at crimbo.

This <a href="http://www.hdx1080.com/index.php?page=s ... Itemid=115" target="_blank">HDX 1000</a> looks just the ticket. It seems to run a well supported os (networked media tank) and hopefully will play everything I can throw at it.

Alternatively been looking at the <a href="http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/ ... tegory_id=" target="_blank">Popcorn Hour A-110</a> which uses the same os just a different design of box as far as I can tell.

They can accept a sata hdd and network play and torrent stuff and other stuff too besides.

Anyone use a similar device? I would rather not just dive in blind.

Nellyboy :gsv:
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Looks nice nelly
Rasputin

ImageImage
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Sorry im no technical use with this post but I built a pc to do the same job.... looking at them products im left wondering whether I made the right choice......

/watches thread
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Well its in and I am mighty impressed. Does its job well. I stream hd vids from my comps shared folder which i do using Myihome for vista64. Threw an old sata hdd in there so I can install the nmt apps. Drive is a bit noisy but thats just the old hdd. Copying to the int hdd is a bit slow at 4.5mb/s top speed but what did I expect for the money? Only real problem I have is that most of the content I have been collecting has dts and dts hd soundtracks. This device passes through or can downsample to stereo on the fly most audio formats but for dts they have a working beta firmware not released yet so I have to convery the audio on my pc which i can do for mkv but not others :(. DTS works passing through but not converted to stereo and me telly is only spereo.

All in all very impressed with build quality and the ability to stream from int hdd or network share movies and music. The lil box does loads more like torrent stuff for ya and is portable too so I can take it round me dads and connect it up to his telly too.

Am thinking of getting the Logitech Z-5500 speaker pac kage to really give the movies a boost. Cheap too for top notch thx certified sound.

Will post more as I discover it.
Last edited by Nellyboy on Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Sounds good mate. I'm trying to get the PS3 to play stuff from my PC via Tversity. I can't get the PS3 to find the media server though. I think it's some setting on Vista64 I need to adjust as the PS3 connects fine to the wireless router to play online. Scratching my head at the moment but I'll keep trying.
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Hi Hammer, look <a href="http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3-medi ... ained.html" target="_blank">here</a> mate might help. Good luck.
Last edited by Nellyboy on Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Oooo...looks rather technical. Bought myself a new TV last week and it has all sorts of gizmos in it.

I can stream content direct from my PC (DNLA or something) or any other device on my network. I can also get basic content (news, weather etc) direct from the internet. All I wanted was a bigger screen, now I am bamboozled with features. Also came free with a blu-ray player, not that I know what the hell that is.

<a href="http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/ ... oid=-34024" target="_blank">Samsung LE40a756</a>
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Got the logitech speakers in and all is well. Blew Julie and Alice away with Transformers and Wall-E over the last few days, they jump out the chair with the surround bits behind em lols.

Outed the internal hdd i stuck in and replaced it with an sata to compact flash card with an 8gb cf card so no disk spinning up and down whilst in use. I only use the internal space for the NMT apps anyway as all me content is being streamed from my pc running Myihome sharing app.

These lil boxes are showing up from bigger companies like Western Digital and Netgear now and will be a big thing methinks next year.

:2t: Well happy with what was a risky lil project.
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

Congratz m8 sounds good

Glad you pulled it off :2t:
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Jackpot m8 sounds (pun intended) fantastic :D
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »