Long Weekend

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

ryanside
Advanced Member

Post by ryanside »

So ive jsut been told that my boss won't be in work tomorrow so that means I can have the day off! :2t:

So i think tonight I will be hitting the bars in town until the eraly hours then bowling tomorrow. More partying on Friday night. And saturday and sunday chillout, watch a few films maybe.

Whats everyone else's plans?
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

I'd like to do some gaming... not done any of that since... last night... :blink:

Oooh... and thinking on... isn't there a new series of Lost on this weekend? :unsure:

I can see it now, I'm gonna be shattered after this weekend... :D
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Stripping down a LET head and XE block...
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Well thats me off for another 7 Days so Some sleep, some time with my family and some time gaming.
Rasputin

ImageImage
mcmav
GSV Regular

Post by mcmav »

Heading to a De Vere Hotel in outskirts of Blackpool for my mum and dads golden wedding anniversary on Saturday thru Monday.
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Chasing Chavs & Pikeys making off with illegally salvaged goods down a Devon beach, I expect.
mcmav
GSV Regular

Post by mcmav »

Dangerous Bob wrote: Chasing Chavs & Pikeys making off with illegally salvaged goods down a Devon beach, I expect.
Did you get a new bike though :)
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

Dangerous Bob wrote: Chasing Chavs & Pikeys making off with illegally salvaged goods down a Devon beach, I expect.
Bob is it actually illegal making off with the stuff ?

I thought washup was anyones?

ok ignore that just read up on a couple bits: <a href="http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europ ... index.html" target="_blank">http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europ ... ex.html</a>

Pretty interesting read that one :)

Seems their a bunch of clumsy muppets as they've run it aground before in the malaka straights :lol:
Last edited by Myocardial Infarction on Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

I know that you have to Declare what you have taken and that the owner can take it back.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Picking up a penny in the street and keeping it constitutes theft... Image
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

You get 28 days to declare, and then the owner gets a year to claim it back and pay a salvage award.

In the Napoli's case, we already know who the owner is, and they've already contracted a salvage team to recover the stuff, as well as preventing pollution. Therefore as soon as anyone picks up from the beach it's theft, if they don't have the owners or salvors permission.

If you see someone trip up in the street and drop their phone in the gutter, doesn't give you the right to keep the phone if you pick it up.....

The last couple of weeks I've seen and argued with some of the lowest common denominators of the human race. Amazed at what people can be capable of when driven by just plain greed.
The thing that disgusted me the most was the couple of small kids that were left cold & shivering, literally going hypothermic on the beach, while their parents looted out some of the personal containers that had been previously whole and locked.

Never mind. Good news is we've managed to get all the heavy fuel oil out
of the tanks, just got to skim the holds and spaces.

Loads of overtime still to go yet.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Gotta say it Bob, you're a guy who never ceases to amaze... I really don't envy you in this weather, and then on top of that having to restrain yourself in the face of such low-lifers.

Are you allowed to comment on the general responsiveness of the government, police, and whoever else should have done more sooner, and I mean this in the sense of, 'what is your opinion'? :unsure:
Last edited by Claw on Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

I would be limited in what I can say, but tbh, there's not a lot I'd want to say that would be out of order.
The response to the original situation was always going to take a while. Local police were not going to have enough numbers to react to what happened. And it did take everyone a bit by surprise.
Plus they were not completely sure in what the marine law actually was. And you can't really blame them for that. No-ones going to be an expert in every aspect of law.
Besides, this whole job has set a completely new precedence. Normally ship's run up on shore by accident. In this case we put her there on purpose to avoid a bigger disaster. We just didn't have a lot of time to lay on a lot of contingency resources.

The situation wasn't helped by the media. After all, If they hadn't made a huge fuss about people being able to take bikes off the beach for free, we wouldn't have had people arriving from thousands of miles away.

Even if the police did start getting heavy with people, I reckon we would have had riots on the beach, and possibly a helluva lot of injuries.
People would have tried getting the stuff up the cliffs etc and that would have meant a huge rescue effort as they all started to get into difficulties. As it was we were busy enough.

My own personal feeling, with hindsight, is that it was probably better to let them do what they wanted and we'll cope with the 'theft' at a later date in slow time. It's just a shame that they completely went over the top, driven by greed, and created one helluva mess doing it.

Anyway, back to work. I'll try to stick some pics up later if anyones interested.
Last edited by Dangerous Bob on Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

yeah do m8e, defo interested :) It's my worst nightmare as a sailor having to abandon ship ;)
ryanside
Advanced Member

Post by ryanside »

well its back to work this morning.

All in all it was a good weekend. We had quite a bit of snow on thursday night and over the weekend so quite late night drunken snow ball fights.

I also broke up a fight in a bar, managed to get myself covered in blood which wasnt that nice, then had to give a statement to the police in German, which was a little difficult. Especially when you've been drinkin wiskey all night and its 5am :jase:

Sunday was a good night, nice and relaxing. Got my film in. Decided to watch The Shawshank Redemption again which some mates who hadnt seen it before. Then played poker last night. was in the last 4 out of about 18 people, but they had a hell of a lot more chips than me.

Hope you enjoyed that insight into my weekend. Good day to all!