Halfords rant.

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Went into halfords the other day to pick some HT leads for the spit,
Might be strange, but i've never bought HT leads in halfords before, always just had them bundled with Original old stock oil filters and the such, all i know is i need 4 copper leads about a foot long and a shorter one for the coil.

Anyway, got in there to be confronted by a wall of HT leads all laid out in boxes, no clue as to what leads they are except a number on the box.

Ok, There's a flip chart in front of me, browse by car manufacturer, ok, no triumph listed.
That's ok, the engine in my car was also used in MG midgets, Austin allegro's, Austin healy sprites and Austin Mini's.

Not a single one of those listed!! honestly, no Mini cooper?? no MG midget? these cars are hardly rare.

So, not wanting to pick up a box and find 3 leads or something when i get home, and also the fact that the prices range from £10 to £60 and higher for bosh leads, i went to the store helpdesk.

Me: Hi, can you tell me what HT leads i need for a spitfire 1500 please?
Clerk: Is that and MG?
Me: no, it's a triumph
Clerk: We dont have any triumphs in our database
Me: Ok, what about MG midgets or Mini Coopers? the engines are basically the same
Clerk: Well we've got an MG Midget listed but there's no code for the leads it needs listed.
Me: No mini coopers?
Clerk: Nope
Me: any A-series engined cars at all?
Clerk: I cant search for that but i doubt it.
Me: Look, i just need 4 HT leads, about this long. . .
Clerk: Go and look at the code on your leads that are on the car.
Me: they wont be bosh or halfords, the leads are old stock, and the car is at home anyway
Clerk: Sorry, i cant help

So i wondered 10 minutes down the road to Discount auto parts, Ht leads for a 1500 A-series engine please.
Here you go sir.

Thanks
/pays and walks off.

Honestly, Halfrauds really get my goat!
God help anyone with a car older than 10 years!
Car expects my arse!

/rant over
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

They are not Car experts but car accessory experts. Bet they do a multitude of differing shades of fluffy dice and funny cartoon air freshners.

Not been in one since I was choosing a top box. Spent a good hour choosing and eventually decided on the Halford special. It was on special offer and was surrounded by promotional material. I ask spotty kid for one and he says he go and check stock (durhhh...its on special). "Computer says we got one". Little while later...."cant find it". :angry: . Ok can I order it?...."hold on"....."no sir, we dont do them anymore"

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: Clingy exits in torrent of expletives!

And like you, I went to local Motor Factor place...I'll have one of them please..."Certainly sir, you want it fitted?"
Last edited by Clingy on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryanside
Advanced Member

Post by ryanside »

there only good if u cant find anywhere else to buy those tree car freshers thingies :lol: