Replacement for AVG?

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

With AVG free edition being withdrawn shortly what are the options? I have heard several peeps recommend Avast and they appear to have a free edition.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Withdrawn? Version 7.1 is being replaced by 7.5... which is still free... have a look at their webby...

<a href="http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1" target="_blank">AVG Free</a>
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Using Nod 32 myself.
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

I Tried 'Avast' for a while before going back to AVG
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

<a href="http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/def ... =82&mnu=82" target="_blank">Read me</a>
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

Looks like bitdefender would be the best freeware version to use. Personally going to stick with Kaspersky :D
Jase
GSV Regular

Post by Jase »

Claw wrote: Withdrawn? Version 7.1 is being replaced by 7.5... which is still free... have a look at their webby...

<a href="http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1" target="_blank">AVG Free</a>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pricing and Availability

GRISOFT now offers the option of a 1-year or a 2-year licence. The price of AVG Anti-Virus 7.5 starts at $29.95 for a one-year license and $38.95 for a two-year licence, which includes the option of free updates. A one-year license for AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 is available for $29.95. A two-year license for AVG Internet Security 7.5 starts at $69.95.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I had a pop up the other day informing me that the "Free" edition would be ceased in january. The options were either a 1 or 2 year licence fee. Once I'd stopped laughing I started my searching again for another freebie ;)
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

blooming heck.

look where comodo is.

hope their firewall is better than their AV.....

Anyway back to AVG....
AFAIK its only the 7.1 version that they're stopping. There will be a free version of 7.5 continuing after Jan.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->New Free Anti-Virus

GRISOFT is announcing a new version of the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. This new 7.5 version with improved performance and full compatibility with the latest Windows Vista version is available. Users that are using AVG Free 7.1 will be provided with a specific dialog, within the next few weeks, with the opportunity to choose the right option fulfilling their needs. AVG Free 7.1 version will be discontinued on 15th of Jan 2007.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's abit underhanded, but the popup is designed to make you pay for the pro edition rather than just upgrade the freebie version.

<a href="http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1" target="_blank">Linky</a>
Last edited by Dangerous Bob on Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ryanside
Advanced Member

Post by ryanside »

im using some norton corporate stuff, does the job
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

but check out how resource hungry it is.....
ryanside
Advanced Member

Post by ryanside »

so thats why the forums are slow..... :lol:

i know it is, but dont do that much on my laptop nowadays, can still run Word! Thats not to say if there is a better one out there... I have tried AVG but didnt get on with it too well
mcmav
GSV Regular

Post by mcmav »

Use Mcafee enterprise here. If anyone wants a cough free download /cough pm me :D
ryanside
Advanced Member

Post by ryanside »

is it better than Norton/AVG?
mcmav
GSV Regular

Post by mcmav »

well I've not had a problem with it tha last few years I've used it :D
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Ooops...I'll take you word for it!

Naughty people, as much as I read those links it's still not clear to me what's happening. Knew I shouldn't have skipped those English lessons ;). I've a good mind to ask for my money back :whis: