Ramdisk

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

Hi Folks,
Saw this and thought you might be interested. Its basically the <a href="http://www.radeonramdisk.com/" target="_blank">Radeon RAMdisk</a>
At the mo I havent really played with it except putting my firefox cache into it. You can only use a maximum of 4Gb of ram using this software but if you have AMD ram then its upto 6Gb. Also If you buy it then I think its 32Gb of ram :)

What yas think of it?

Class--
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Hi Class, I think there are plenty of free alternatives out there to that. I did a google and found a few first hit. Sounds like an easy way to bork ur system if it is a bit tricky to setup. If another member uses ramdisks then chip in. I am interested.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Did hammer not piss about with stuff like this a while back?
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

Nellyboy wrote: Hi Class, I think there are plenty of free alternatives out there to that. I did a google and found a few first hit. Sounds like an easy way to bork ur system if it is a bit tricky to setup. If another member uses ramdisks then chip in. I am interested.
Not tricky at all mate :) basically you open the config window and say what size and what format you want then you just hit start and bam you have yourself a ramdisk. My pc now has a D: drive at 4Gb formatted as Fat32. I stopped the ramdisk from the config window and then told it to save the ramdisk image at shutdown and auto save it every 300 seconds then I started it again. Once it saved the image I again stopped it and ticked the "load image at startup" and pointed it to the newly saved image. Now it just runs like a very small ssd known as D: just need to find a use for it now other than my browsers cache :D

CLass--
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

Trig wrote: Did hammer not piss about with stuff like this a while back?
Think I should use search more often :D I believe it was Rasputin almost to the year ago :)
So Ras do you still use it?

Class--
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Nah, I did divy up my RAM, 12GB to RAM disk and 12GB for the system for a while. I found though that yes it did decrease game load times but having to move games in and out of the RAM disk was a pain. Now I just use 2 SSD's in RAID 0, not as quick but it is quick enough.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

Yer after having a quick look at it I can see that would be a problem as the one game I play at the mo, CS:GO, is over 5Gb of files :(
I was thinking more to speed up the general use of a pc. My idea is to play with it and work out if I can speed up my mates pc that I helped fix earlier this month. Its an amd rig running vista with 8Gb. So if I can work out how much ram I would need to get things like office, web browser, mail client all running super quick for him then he'd be a happy boy :)
Plus I wold probably do it with this pc too and take the ssd out of the cache roll and use it for linux.

Whats ya think? :)
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

If you want to speed his machine up, and if he really were a mate you would get rid of vista lol
Vomit
Advanced Member

Post by Vomit »

Trig wrote: If you want to speed his machine up, and if he really were a mate you would get rid of vista lol

Hmm, Vista that should be classed as either shiteware or a virus and yup, get rid of it and NEVER own up to using it!!! :th:
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Best the would be to get shot of Vista for your mate.

I would keep windows on the SSD and have Linux on HDD, Linux is a quicker boot than Windows in general.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

Rasputin wrote: Best the would be to get shot of Vista for your mate.

I would keep windows on the SSD and have Linux on HDD, Linux is a quicker boot than Windows in general.
Yer but hdd is 500Gb and ssd is only 64Gb. If I separate them from the cache raid then I need all the room for games etc for windows and not much room for linux and its apps. That really the only reason I'm going ssd for Linux. I am only using window for games and Linux for usual pc stuff so linux would be used more. Plus I'm told not to dual boot with intels cache system running as linux doesnt like it :) Was that info not from u? :D Mind you I will probably try it and see if it works :D

Class--
Vomit
Advanced Member

Post by Vomit »

Class-- wrote: . Plus I'm told not to dual boot with intels cache system running as linux doesnt like it :) Was that info not from u? :D Mind you I will probably try it and see if it works :D

Class--
I cannot boot into bart pe or anything else with lintels cache running, the comp does boot on some, but the C is always missing :(
Richie
GSV Regular

Post by Richie »

RamDisk... Christ that is a blast from the past. I remember doing this on my Atari about 15-20 years ago :blink:
Life - Its the **** that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come...
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Class-- wrote: Yer but hdd is 500Gb and ssd is only 64Gb. If I separate them from the cache raid then I need all the room for games etc for windows and not much room for linux and its apps. That really the only reason I'm going ssd for Linux. I am only using window for games and Linux for usual pc stuff so linux would be used more. Plus I'm told not to dual boot with intels cache system running as linux doesnt like it :) Was that info not from u? :D Mind you I will probably try it and see if it works :D

Class--
TBH, I hadn't heard about this Intel Caching issue. I haven't dual booted in a long while now.
Rasputin

ImageImage