Charts

All things music related

Moderator: 0lderama

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

While you're just sat there, in front of your Desky, Lappy... do you know what is number 1 in the music charts?

It's been so long since I paid any attention to the charts that, without Googling, I wouldn't know where I would find "the charts" these days. Ever since 'Top of the Pops' went I've been completely out of sync with all of it.

What is 'the sound' now? There was a time you could say Rock 'n' Roll, Disco, Punk, etc. I still hear Rap squalling sometimes if someone drives by playing it... and I don't know why people haven't got wise to it... like, talking, is not singing...

What is it about Rap that these people like? It even appears in what starts off as an okay piece of music... part way through the song they've got to chuck in some psycho gnawing on a microphone, just jumping in like those screamer things you'd see on what you initially thought was a serene youtube video... :unsure:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

I have the top 20 on my spotify feed, makes it easier to silence the children...
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Wow, Claw, you are getting old!!!

Us youngsters always stay in touch ;)

The last 5 or 6 years I have taken a much closer interest in music or contemporary music. I listen to NME radio rather than watch TV, buy music magazines, go to as many gigs and festivals as I can and buy (yes buy) loads of music.

As to charts, there are all sorts of charts and as sales of "singles" have almost dissapeared it is relatively easy to get a chart topper. Downloads have complicated things, particulalrly when you can "pick and mix". Even second rate albums can get a good position if released at the right time.

Listening to the radio I often hear bands I have seen live or have bought the CD.

As to Rap - not my thing, but it clearly is popular.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Wen I wer a l'ad wid tape that thire radio an play it baq tryin tu mis talkin oot.
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Interesting aside to this....I have noticed that most people, young and old tend to stick to the music they first encountered, usually in their teens. To suggest older people are the only ones stuck in their ways is incorrect. As I work in IT I find the younger people most reluctant to change. This is particularly noticeable in those in their 20s and 30s. If anything, older people tend to be used to change. My daughter is 23 and still paying all the music she listened to in her teens and not that interested in new stuff and up and coming bands.
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

Im <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0" target="_blank">GangNam Styling</a> it as we speak :D
As for charts i cant say i lnow the top anything as \im not that insterested but I do listen to radio when in the car and hear whats new that way. otherwise its, as Clingy says, listening to my collection of teen music or, as i believe most of us do) my parents music that was always played as I was a child :D

Class--
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Clingy wrote: Interesting aside to this....I have noticed that most people, young and old tend to stick to the music they first encountered, usually in their teens. To suggest older people are the only ones stuck in their ways is incorrect. As I work in IT I find the younger people most reluctant to change. This is particularly noticeable in those in their 20s and 30s. If anything, older people tend to be used to change. My daughter is 23 and still paying all the music she listened to in her teens and not that interested in new stuff and up and coming bands.
That's a pretty deep way of looking at it... I can be quite slow to adjust, and as an example, for a long time I couldn't stick Coldplay, viewed it as just another 'Indi' band. But now, I would describe them as brilliant. It was because the missus would keep playing their stuff, and when I began listening properly I realised that something very artitstic was going on there. Ironically, their videos are naff, but their music is outstanding... which is typically the other way around. Was disappointed when they brought in that "Umb'er'rella" girl on their last album.

Sometimes, I do fall into the trap of generalizing though. But, this said, there is definitely an imagery over artistry issue at the moment. (imho)
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

As much as I dislike Rap, I keep trying to find some that does the trick.....as yet to no avail.

Yep certainly I feel many people are too interested in what they feel they should like rather than being open and honest with themselves. I take the view that I have a lot less years on this earth than most of you so am not going to live my life how someone else thinks I should live it. And if you know me in real life you would know I DO live life like that.....from music choices to what I wear and how I spend my spare time. And I get a lot of "stick" at work and in my social life for things like having a man bag, wearing bright clothes, decorating my house in vibrant colours, going to Opera, eating in expensive restaurants, riding fast bikes and driving slow cars, going to music festivals and painting my face, visiting modern art galleries....I love it all and don't give a gnats todger what others think.

If you are slow to adjust Claw, so what....if that's what you want m8...there is no obligation. I went to the same place on holiday 10 years running. I didn't strive to find new and exciting places to visit and still I tend to spend my valuable hliday time doing teh same things....skiing, surfing, motorcycling and the Lakes District. I guess what I am saying is look inwards rather than outwards and when you are content with your own choices you'll be less likely to critisise other peoples choices.

Having said that I am a "grumpy old git" at heart and still have a good old moan, as much to make me feel better about my choices than anything else. I'm sure you'll agree that those "professional whingers" we all meet ion our lives are the most insecure of people. I had the misfortune of having to work with one recently and I spotted it as soon as she joined the company. It took everyone else a year to realsie what was happening and before the compny "managed her out". She was terribly insecure, a 14 year old girl in nature, but the damage she caused was totally out of proportion.

Hell, what a rant....LOL