Windows 8

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Anyone had a play with any stage of this yet? :unsure:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Yes, played with an early preview and have it on my Slate7 since it was released.

Personally imho no point on anything without a touch screen using the Metro UI, I might stick it on my rig next time I reinstall.
Needs touch office.
Fast, as in boots in less than 10 seconds on this device.
Adds a few decent functions, like the ability to remove everything and essentially reset the machine, useful if you want to bin everything if you sell a machine etc.

When the ARM based tablets come out and if touch office is there then there's a market, iPads are nice but the Surface with proper office will kick its ass, especially if the $199 rumours are to be believed..
Vomit
Advanced Member

Post by Vomit »

I put it on a tablet pc, its orrible so is the tablet.

I wont waste my time installing it on my main pc, i think it feels clumsy and is trying to be something it is not and never ever will be, an Android Wanna Be except for its shite.
madman045
GSV Regular

Post by madman045 »

The $199 has a very good chance, because there will be a 2yr subscription to Office 2013 of which is where MS will make their money back

We have it at work through the MS Action Pack, the dev at work is using it now as his main OS along with VS 2012 and is loving it

It's no longer known as Metro due to someone at MS cocking up there big time
<a href="http://bf3stats.com/stats_pc/madman045" target="_blank">Image</a>
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Yeah they are calling it Modern UI, cant see that sticking either tbh, plus everyone calls it Metro :lol:
Vomit
Advanced Member

Post by Vomit »

windoid thats what they should call it
Compo
Advanced Member

Post by Compo »

I installed the preview on my laptop and it is definitely very quick to load (I also have an ssd on it - which helps). It is definitely not worth having on anything other than a tablet/touchscreen as you want to to just touch the "metro" icons and move things around. The one thing that really bugged me was the use of two desktops. Now surely with the new metro front end, this is not neccesary as all app/programs load in their own respective windows anyway? Just seemed messy to me and takes away the fresh look of the interface. Ill stick with windows 7 methinks....
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

I really didn't like the name Metro... reminded me of that tacky newspaper you see littering the floors of most train carriages and platforms. But if the official name is going to be just another number again, that seems a bit cheap too. I think it's about time we had something named with a little imagination, but probably won't happen.

Gonna install it on something tomorrow, maybe a laptop. Is it better than W7? :unsure:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

$199 for a Surface? I heard $799.

I will definitely go for a Windows 8 touch screen Ultrabook as soon as they are released.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

There are two version of the Surface, the ARM based one and the x86 one, the x86 will be Windows 8 Pro/Enterprise and be the expensive ones, the ARM ones will be Windows 8 RT and will be the cheap ones and will just be "not metro" interface with no desktop fall back like the Pro/Enterprise ones.