Laptop Hdd

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

0lderama
Advanced Member

Post by 0lderama »

Hi all

my trusty dell lappy hdd is on its way out
had it in for 6 yrs so its done well survived a trip to nz and 2 kids

bearing in mind i live in the arse end of the world can anyone reccomend a decent SATA 2.5 drive for me
im not to fussed on size really more on durability
my current one in the dell is a fujitsu so i was quite surprised

anyway look forward to your advice

Oldie :)
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Durability look at SSD's.
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

I think for an SSD he will need win7 for trim support wont he Trig?
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Well if he's banging a new drive in there he'll be looking at a reinstall eitherway so he could move to Win7 at the same time.
As for trim support most SSD manufacturers have a "wipe" or similar command that does the same thing.
0lderama
Advanced Member

Post by 0lderama »

:blink: :unsure: :huh:
0lderama
Advanced Member

Post by 0lderama »

Lol them replys went straight over my head
thank god for google :P

i have windows 7 already on the machine and yes i would be doing a complete install anyway
its a vostro 1500 is that capable of ssd plus i only need it for surfing the net so i can pick up a 60 gb for around 150 dollars
can anyone tell me if sdd would be ok and would it be an easy install

i thankyou most

oldie
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Olderama wrote: Lol them replys went straight over my head
thank god for google :P

i have windows 7 already on the machine and yes i would be doing a complete install anyway
its a vostro 1500 is that capable of ssd plus i only need it for surfing the net so i can pick up a 60 gb for around 150 dollars
can anyone tell me if sdd would be ok and would it be an easy install

i thankyou most

oldie
SSD would be fine if you are okay with a 60GB. When formatted that drive will drop to between 52GB to 55GB. Over time that 55GB will be further whittled away with about 25GB for OS and Office, Pagefile and other knick knacks will take it up to 30GB. So, you could find yourself left with just about 22GB to play with.

If it is just for surfing, then it will be goose-pimply quick. :)
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

I had a 30Gb drive in my netbook, had office 2010 and windows 7 on it and had enough space on it to be useable still so you can go smaller without it being much of an issue..
Depends if you also have iTunes on there and what other background software you dont think about but can take up loads of space..
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Trig wrote: I had a 30Gb drive in my netbook, had office 2010 and windows 7 on it and had enough space on it to be useable still so you can go smaller without it being much of an issue..
Depends if you also have iTunes on there and what other background software you dont think about but can take up loads of space..
All that onto a 30GB drive? :blink:

I suppose if it is just for surfing he could also think about using Ubuntu. That OS is just gorgeous now, and on a SSD it would boot and be ready for use just moments before you thought about firing it up. Quicker than instantaneous... :D
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Yup, windows, office, flash, Java, all the updates etc and it had ~9gb free iirc