Empire Earth Is Free On Gog For The Next 48 Hours!

PC & Console gaming
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Not sure if it's free to download or just free to play, but if you're into RTS's might be worth a look.

Certainly worth chucking on the laptop for those quiet periods at work...

<a href="http://steamunpowered.eu/empire-earth-i ... t-48-hours" target="_blank">http://steamunpowered.eu/empire-earth-i ... 8-hours</a>
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Once I'd created my GOG account, I see that they're also offering "Beneath a Steel Sky" and " Ultima IV" as well..
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Oof BASS, I remember that from my old Amiga days...
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Empire was 500MB+ but the others are 25MB - 70M... Demo's? :unsure:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Looking at the gfx on BASS (1994) even compared to Empire (2001), you can see why.
Also Empire has the expansion pack as well.

HL2 a few years back was a 3 GB download. I reckon BF3 was around 10GB?

The others are full games. Surely you remember a game coming on a couple of floppies at one time? :)
Last edited by Dangerous Bob on Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

BASS was on something like 7 stiffy's iirc..
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

And Elite on the Beeb came on about 10 minutes of tape....

/nostalgic sigh...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

God, tapes, I remember them, I used to scratch little marks in the windows so I knew where level starts were so if you died you didnt have to spin the tape back all the way to load in the last bit you did :lol:
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

I've still got my ZX81, Speccy, and Beeb. Don't have my Atari 800XL, or 520ST. Sold the XL to buy an ST. Sold my Atari 520 ST to a musician for some serious big bucks back in the day as he wanted it for its Track Studio and MIDI capabilities.

Never wanted an Amiga... it was a known fact that only girls had Amiga's... real men wanting real computers went the Atari route... :P
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

I've still got 2 modded A1200's sat somewhere..
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Trig wrote: I've still got 2 modded A1200's sat somewhere..
My brother had one... I took the Atari route and he took the Commodore route. He would go to a Commodore users bash, and I to a an Atari users bash, each once a month. (that's what we had to do before Usenet and eventually forums) At the Commodore bash would be mostly games and software "sharing". At the Atari bash there would be the same "sharing", but also loads of different types of hardware that had been adapted to the XL or 520ST.

The Amiga did have some advantages over the 520ST when it came to graphics capability. But my first love was programming, which was something of a necessity for some of the 'puters in those days, as you'll remember. The ST had a wider range of programming languages, each with their strengths and weaknesses depending on what you were putting together. I loved robotics, and that's how I got into writing/modifying software to assist the disabled.

The Amiga had a vaster range of colours than the Atari range, which meant more eye-candy. Even when Atari got around to introducing Blitter capability, I don't it wasn't a big enough step, and certainly a step too late. Commodore had grabbed the market by then.