Freeview Box

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

A friend has asked me to recommend a FreeView box to him. I've been traipsing through eBay, Ebuyer, and others. The one below caught my eye because it says it has 1000 channels and was listed as a HD recorder, albeit it not saying it anywhere I could see.

<a href="http://www.ebuyer.com/225560-xenta-pvr- ... ayer-db-18" target="_blank">DB-18 FreeView Box Recorder.</a>

Is it possible this thing could pick up 1000 channels? I'll just assume it isn't HD capable, as it doesn't mention it on the site.

He's an old bloke who isn't into HD and all that, but I know that once I mention the 1000 channels to him he will awe struck. :D
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Vomit
Advanced Member

Post by Vomit »

It will only receive whats being transmitted, so if only 10 channels are being transmitted that's all it will receive. Like you i saw no mention at all of HD and for its very low price its unlikely to have that feature, although it may be able to play back HD media from other sources.

We paid just short of £100 for a humax box but to get it to record we had to buy an external drive and flash the firmware to enable recording from it.

You get what you pay for, for that money you will be lucky if it works at all.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Vomit wrote: It will only receive whats being transmitted, so if only 10 channels are being transmitted that's all it will receive. Like you i saw no mention at all of HD and for its very low price its unlikely to have that feature, although it may be able to play back HD media from other sources.

We paid just short of £100 for a humax box but to get it to record we had to buy an external drive and flash the firmware to enable recording from it.

You get what you pay for, for that money you will be lucky if it works at all.
Makes sense Vomit, thanks.

Bought a cheapo thing for just under a tenner. (Before reading your post.) It doesn't do HD, but once he's settled in this country I'm sure he'll suss these things out and get what he wants. I was just surprised about the claim of 1000 channels, none of the others make any such suggestion.

As you said, the amount of transmitted channels is what is gonna be the key factor. :)
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Even if it could get 1000 channels (theorectically my V box could as the numbers go up to 999), there still would be nothing decent on..

or at least until Babestation starts up.... ;)
Mega
Advanced Member

Post by Mega »

Yes but with 1000 channels think of all those repeats you could watch :)
Last edited by Mega on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.