Wtf Have Bt Done With My Line?

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

a couple of years ago I was getting a steady 5Mbs, then it dropped to about 3, with occasional flurries of 6.
Good enough for game playing and trickle P2Ping, though getting anything in a hurry was a bit of a pain...
Always put it down to them throttling me and high contention ratio.

Tonight I logged on and saw this on the router:

so did a quick DL test at TBB.
You can see the huge Jump, bot DL and UL....

Lets just hope this isn't a freak and continues..
Last edited by Dangerous Bob on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Upgraded your local exchange?
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

They upgraded the exchange back in 2006, or at least that's what they told me back then. I got 6mb back then.
This last year it dropped to 3. Was going to complain sometime, but it hasn't really effected my surfin ability on the whole.
Last edited by Dangerous Bob on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Sadly, ADSL providers can only promise to give "up to" 5Mbps, or whatever bandwidth the service is said to go "up to".

Another thing to keep in mind is that providers lump both your upstream and downstream together as your bandwidth. For illustration purpose, imagine you had a 9Mbps downstrem and a 1Mbps upstream, your provider could call this a 10Mbps connection.

Are there any MS updates downloading in the background? Is your AV running a schedule sweep? Would you consider running Superantispyware? This program is the best available spyware/tracker scrubber available. (imho)

Or, as you mentioned, it could just be contenton ratio.
Last edited by Claw on Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Tumble
Advanced Member

Post by Tumble »

Claw wrote: Sadly, ADSL providers can only promise to give "up to" 5Mbps, or whatever bandwidth the service is said to go "up to".

Another thing to keep in mind is that providers lump both your upstream and downstream together as your bandwidth. For illustration purpose, imagine you had a 9Mbps downstrem and a 1Mbps upstream, your provider could call this a 10Mbps connection.

Are there any MS updates downloading in the background? Is your AV running a schedule sweep? Would you consider running Superantispyware? This program is the best available spyware/tracker scrubber available. (imho)

Fink you've got the wrong end of the stick there Claw old thing... it's gone through the roof! 20mb download now - that line on the graph is just a "best fit" Look at the last data points ;)
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Still up there.

Though BF3 is still crashing left, right & centre...
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Tumble wrote: Fink you've got the wrong end of the stick there Claw old thing... it's gone through the roof! 20mb download now - that line on the graph is just a "best fit" Look at the last data points ;)
Ah... yes, but... we can't have 'im whizing around the 'net at those kinda break-neck speeds... forget discussions about light, Nintento's and neutrinos... we'll be opening threads about the speed of Bob! :blink:

Great scott, it's already happening! :o
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Blimey, always wondered what SoB stood for.....
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Claw wrote: Sadly, ADSL providers can only promise to give "up to" 5Mbps, or whatever bandwidth the service is said to go "up to".

ADSL Providers can claim an "Up to 8Mb" connection
ADSL2+ Providers can claim "Up to 24Mb" Though 24Mb is only achievable if you live in the exchange, so most say 20Mb.
Never heard of this lumping together to claim speeds before, but if you talking about different profiles on the DSLAM with Annex A and Annex M then I suppose it could be taken as this but it wrong still be an untruth.
Annex A is your normal 20 down and 1.5 up, were as Annex M would be 18 down and 2.5 up as some of you down bandwidth is used for the upload.

My Guesses for this connection would be they have upgraded the DSLAM that DB is connected to, to ADSL2+ or they have re-routed his phone-line to a closer exchange. I think that the former is more likely as the later does happen but not often and not without the customer knowing.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Oh well, rebooted the router tonight as was misbehaving and it's back down to 3Mb...
Was good while it lasted.
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Ah well, the party is over DB. It was just a taster, wait for the offer in the post of a faster connection for a small extra fee.
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Give BT a call and advise them that you were getting 20Mb and now your getting three. Complain to them nicely at first and it will get raised through the ranks.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

I had the worst experience of my life on Sunday. I phoned talktalk customer service to sort out a problem with my mothers email. Two or more hours later I put the phone down to protect my sanity. I never realised that talktalk was completely staffed by foreigners from india or pakistan with such a poor grasp of english.

Note to you all. DO NOT USE TALKTALK.......................EVER!!!!
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

going to replace the wiring inside the house first, just in case that's it...
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Rasputin wrote:
ADSL Providers can claim an "Up to 8Mb" connection
ADSL2+ Providers can claim "Up to 24Mb" Though 24Mb is only achievable if you live in the exchange, so most say 20Mb.
Never heard of this lumping together to claim speeds before, but if you talking about different profiles on the DSLAM with Annex A and Annex M then I suppose it could be taken as this but it wrong still be an untruth.
Annex A is your normal 20 down and 1.5 up, were as Annex M would be 18 down and 2.5 up as some of you down bandwidth is used for the upload.

My Guesses for this connection would be they have upgraded the DSLAM that DB is connected to, to ADSL2+ or they have re-routed his phone-line to a closer exchange. I think that the former is more likely as the later does happen but not often and not without the customer knowing.
I've not had to bother with ADSL and the like for a long, long time. I've got cable and quite jolly about it. :)