Wtf Have Bt Done With My Line?

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Dangerous Bob wrote: going to replace the wiring inside the house first, just in case that's it...
That sounds desperate. Can't they test for that kinda problem?
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

tbh I could test it myself, but the wiring is probably the original from when they first had phones installed in the 60's so could probably do with changing and shortening the route.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Claw wrote: I've not had to bother with ADSL and the like for a long, long time. I've got cable and quite jolly about it. :)
Yep cable is outrageously good compared with adsl, in my experience. Had first real issues with mine monday/tuesday...... tracked it down to a break/damaged cable from carpet fitters...... virgin 'engineer' coming out to look at it thursday...........
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Dangerous Bob wrote: tbh I could test it myself, but the wiring is probably the original from when they first had phones installed in the 60's so could probably do with changing and shortening the route.
How many phones do you have? You'll probably know all about this anyway, but every phone is has a given REN. If your REN adds up to approximately 4, you'll experience problems. An individual phone's REN could be anything from 0.1 to 1.5.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

got one phone then a slave one as well, that's it.
apart from the hub phone but that hasn't worked properly in ages..
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Looks like they might have been trialling the new system they're putting in down here ready for the olympics...

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->'Superfast' broadband scheme expanded in Dorset
Bunch of fibre-optic cables Optic fibre technology can bring greatly increased download speeds

About 30,000 more homes and businesses in Dorset are to get superfast broadband, BT has announced.

Dorchester, Poole and Ferndown are the latest towns to be included in the company's £2.5bn national super-fast fibre broadband programme.

They will be upgraded to speeds of up to 300Mbps by spring, the firm says. Ofcom say the average actual speed of all UK broadband is 6.8Mbps.

Dorchester councillor, Richard Biggs, said he was "delighted".

"This is great news for Dorchester's businesses and residents alike, who will be able to use IT applications for work and leisure in the same way as people in the major cities across Britain and the world," he said.

The broadband services are also in place in Wimborne, Boscombe, Bournemouth, Weymouth, Portland, Blandford, Lytchett Minster, Verwood and Broadstone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

:hb:

Now, That's what I call a legacy from the olympics.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Wow... people in those places are advanced enough to have computers? :blink:

I've never heard of the majority of those, erm, villages/tribes... :unsure:

Why don't they do this kinda thing with proper towns and cities? :huh: