Senna

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Anyone else seen or got this ? I purchased it when just out, recent fatalities reminded me of it.... and a day off work to watch it again proved it is indeed a worthwhile watch.
Some of the reviews put it down as epic, i'd say its just as good as something like McRaes rally legend, not sure whether the bluray was worth it as obviously a lot of it is old footage anyway, you're basically watching these life doc's to learn more about the person than what wikipedia can deliver in print.

A good stocking filler for anyone with a bit of interest :th:
smoop
Advanced Member

Post by smoop »

Expecting the bluray through my door this week

smoop
Advanced Member

Post by smoop »

Just watched it, very difficult to towards the end. As selfless as a human being can be, ditching his own car to help another driver out of his car after crashing. Never another racer like him. Sorely missed.

andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

He was some man thats for sure, respected by a huge amount of people. After I watched it, I googled Terry Fullerton, theres a nice article from his local paper online i'm sure you'll see it.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Switzerland banned all motor racing for 50 odd years because of a racing tragedy. It's amazing that something that basically consists of driving around in circles can foment so much passion. That's obviously an over simplification, but there must be measures they can take that would remove the amount of exposure the driver has to danger.

I wonder what killed him specifically, brain damage? :unsure:
Last edited by Claw on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

There is an argument that manadatory safety features like seat belts and air bags reduce the probability of death or serious injury to the driver in an accident, but the increased feeling of safety from seat belts or airbags would actually cause drivers to drive slightly more recklessly, which would increase the number of accidents.

Perhaps there's the same argument for commercial racing?
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

I said something similar years ago, drivers are so safe and relaxed these days that it promotes accidents, same as all these school run mums in there big 4x4's, they feel safer, ****** everyone else :lol:

My idea was to have a big nail stuck to the steering wheel instead of an airbag, imagine how much slower and safer people would drive...
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

As effective as a nail would be in serving as a psychological reminder for self-preservation, whoever makes anything less "safe" would be liable.

The principle of, "There's no accounting for stupidity", is right up there with the principle of, "cause and effect". The Jackass videos are a symptom of a whole generation of morons believing that self mutilation makes them popular, just like an ASBO being more sought after than an NVQ.

Things won't change for the sake of care and consideration, society now is more concerned with culpability. So, the safety aspect will have to come from electrical and electronic trickery. Control of the vehical will gradually be taken away from the driver. Or, they could dramatically reduce the speed the vehicals travel at.

I suppose the question needs to be asked, are these guys putting their lives on the line for my entertainment and an extra few quid in the pocket? The answer is likely very obvious.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Claw wrote: I suppose the question needs to be asked, are these guys putting their lives on the line for my entertainment and an extra few quid in the pocket? The answer is likely very obvious.
That will be an obvious NO then.

Racing drivers drive because they want to race. Most of them start off with no money and with go carts and slowly work their way through various formulas getting noticed because of their driving ability. The top guys in F1 earn millions so they really don't need the money after a few years at the top.
Look at Schumacher I think he was on £27 million a year at Ferrari, I don't think he's back in F1 for the money or your entertainment.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

I'm sure the money will have had something to do with it, earning that sort of money gets you some pretty expensive tastes, tastes which would started to chip away at his fortune :lol:
tbh if you enjoy the thrill of driving and someone's going to pay you a stupid amount of money to do it then, to me that seems an obvious choice..
0lderama
Advanced Member

Post by 0lderama »

regardless of money theses guys know how to drive
its simple they are the best at what they can do and yes they get paid for it so what

im happy to pay big money to see them as opposed to the stupid amount you have to pay to see a football match also taking into account you only see one game where as you see support races throughout the race weekend

senna died doing what he loved and he will be the first to tell you that(if he could)
and yes he was a great driver but he wasnt the best none of them are the best it all comes down to engineering and the support the driver gets
its such a cut throat sport that money has kinda ruined it now and safety has ruined it too
its funny how an F! driver gets all the saftety gear and suppoet he can get but a weekender banger racer just does his own thing and runs the same risk(all be it slightly slower lol but still behind the wheel)
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Money ruined F1, Footie, Music, etc... is there a way back? :unsure:
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Yeah, stop watching it
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Cunning... let the protest begin... :ph34r:
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Well seeing as a lot of the money that goes into it is marketting/advertising etc the less people watch it the less the advertising companys will care, they'll put less money in as they arent reaching the same number of people and so on..