Mineral Oil Cooled Pc

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Mineral oil is not conductive, so stick your PC in a fish tank.... <a href="http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php" target="_blank">Mineral Oil Cooled PC.</a>

There are two vids on the that page, it is unbelievably so straight forward. :D
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Seen a few of these. They look awsome but I have heard that there is cooling problems as the oil does not move that much to dispurse the heat from the CPU and due to a small surface area the heat convention is poor.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Custom PC magazine had shown some of these a few years ago. At the time they were mega expensive to build, but I suppose they would be a lot cheaper to build now.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Just like cooling a power transformer, very neat idea.
The first thoughts for me on seeing this was about the oil tracking up the cable cores as we suffer from this at work on lube oil systems with capilary effect & pressure, but these boys seem to have overcome that.

Out of interest (I know Hippy was doing water cooling at one point) how does their kit price of $595.65 compare with a water setup ?
Anyone in GSV gonna give this a shot ? :)
Last edited by andrew on Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

<a href="http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... 32&subcat=" target="_blank">This is my watercooling kit.</a>