Played Counterstrike Last Night

1.6 & Source
Raz
Advanced Member

Post by Raz »

I played counter strike 1.6 for the first time in years and years last night because of a recent Valve promotion (And the fact my PC is slooooow). It made me think of GSV and a time when my biggest financial concern was whether I would get a ti4200, a ti4400 or a ti4600 (I went for the cheapest, ie the 4200!).

In Sept/October 2001 I applied for a job as an IT Assistant and the response to me sending in my CV, I was asked if I played CS and if I had any tips. At the time I had only really played Tribes so I couldn't offer any advice at all, I was still pleasantly surprised to hear that I could potentially be employed by someone who also plays PC games (it seems crazy now, but it was unheard of back then!).

So, despite an almost sarcy comment to my potential boss' boss, I got the job. Yay :D

Anyway to get to the point, my CS playing boss was no ordinary CS playing boss, it was Clingy! Less than a week had passed before I was given a CD containing two of the most important bits of software at the time, Counterstrike and 3DMark 2001 SE.

I worked with Cling0r for almost 3 years before going to Uni (something he actually helped convince me to do!) and it was always fun, well, except for the bit where I was made to do work and stuff. 10 years have almost passed since I first played counter strike, 10 years!!! Back then, I had a dialup connection and the fact my work place had ISDN connection capable of 16kb/s really impressed me!

So 10 years have passed since I first played CS and as I joined some random server (a Russian one I think?), I wondered if I would be able to play without making a fool out of myself? Will I remember the controls? Oh god will I remember the buying shortcuts?!?!?!

B 4 2 B 6 B 8 2 B 8 4

Without even thinking I typed in the above, ran through DE_DUST 2, crawled round a few corners, killed 3 people before being killed myself. Instantly I was reminded of GSV and everything that has happened since then :)

No I'm not crying, there's something in my eye.
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

Yeah its really been that long. :eek:

If you're gonna play CS then you really need to upgrade to CS:Source as thats what most play these days.

But then again not many of us dabble in CS anymore but BF:BC2 and the upcoming BF3.

But welcome back anyway and thanks for the memories :gsv:
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Aye source is where its at, we'll know how well Clingy trained you if your back after a game ranting on how source has ruined the game and how you prefer beta52 ;)
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Trig0r and Cling0r... is there a story in there? :unsure:

CS:S (Source) is a huge leap from 1.6 in terms of graphics, but I did hear of some who just couldn't adjust to them. It had some strange effect on them, was it dizziness, or nausea, or something?

There was a version where the T's could move the hostages around, and that really added a good challenge to the game. As a C you had to play so much more cautiously. I don't know what version that was, but I don't think it was 1.6.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Mmm, good old rescue maps, I liked that one where u were on an oilrig, cant remember what it was called tho.....
Raz
Advanced Member

Post by Raz »

Hiya you lot :)

I'm playing 1.6 because my laptop almost certainly will not be able to run source. Tis still a very fun game even after all this time.
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

The bobbing of the gun affected some even on 1.6, but it was easy to take the Bob out....

:(
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Trig wrote: Mmm, good old rescue maps, I liked that one where u were on an oilrig, cant remember what it was called tho.....
cs_oilrig? Aye Trig, beta 5.2 WAS the best, well for me at least. A "spray and hope" merchant's dream :)

Hiya Chris. Great to hear from you and hope all is well. Just showed your post to my most recent IT assistant....by the look on his face I appear to have lost any respect I had left :lol: . I remember the interview well. I thought, what numpty puts he plays computer games on a CV ;)

Fond memories and good days, and yep we might have done some work now and again.

Paul
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

So, there was a time when Clingy actually liked CS? I remember you seething over the "hit boxes", but there was also something else you would give it grief about, and whenever you mentioned it Jase would have a good laugh about it... I was still very much a newb then, I can't remember. :lol::
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Raz
Advanced Member

Post by Raz »

Clingy wrote: cs_oilrig? Aye Trig, beta 5.2 WAS the best, well for me at least. A "spray and hope" merchant's dream :)

Hiya Chris. Great to hear from you and hope all is well. Just showed your post to my most recent IT assistant....by the look on his face I appear to have lost any respect I had left :lol: . I remember the interview well. I thought, what numpty puts he plays computer games on a CV ;)

Fond memories and good days, and yep we might have done some work now and again.

Paul
Hahaha, how old is the IT assistant there? Kids these days have no idea how easy they have it with there world of duties and call of warcrafts.

Regarding the CV, we were told to put a hobby down, I had nothing so I shamefully put games (and it would probably still end up on my CV today, oh dear!). I've still got the reference letter you wrote for me after I left, you made a point of mentioning my "refreshing" sense of humour; good news, it's still just as fresh! :lol:

It'd be nice to catch up properly over a drink next time I'm in the area. Don't tell anyone, I will refuse to buy a round if you do (yes I still haven't let it go).
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Raz wrote:
It'd be nice to catch up properly over a drink next time I'm in the area. Don't tell anyone, I will refuse to buy a round if you do (yes I still haven't let it go).
:lol:

Sure m8, just ring, or drop me your email addy. As you can imagine so much has changed (but not so much that I can't surf t'internet all day long ;) ), I guess the same with you.

Oh and current "IT Assistant" is a graduate in Computer Science....how times have changed :)