Dial Up

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Anybody know of any free dial up services that aren't the likes of 07 or 08 numbers? Basically I'm looking for something along the lines of an 01 or 02 number, please? :)
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

What you wanna use it for?
Only free one I ever used was an 0845 number so I presume that you "pay" for it via your phone bill...
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Trig wrote: What you wanna use it for?
Only free one I ever used was an 0845 number so I presume that you "pay" for it via your phone bill...
It's to connect a PDA, via a mobile phone, for short term Internet access.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

The mobile not got some sort of data tarriff then I presume?
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Trig wrote: The mobile not got some sort of data tarriff then I presume?
Yep, 2p per 1MB, with Orange.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

And you cant use that because?
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Trig wrote: And you cant use that because?
On my PDA, Uzard and Opera 10 are better than my phone's browser. Using an 0845 number may cost between 10p - 40p per minute in addition to the data tariff.

...a miserly skinflint, I know... :)
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Yeah but can you not tether the PDA to the phone and then use the phones data connection?
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

Trig wrote: Yeah but can you not tether the PDA to the phone and then use the phones data connection?
That's what I was thinking, 2p per meg is realtively cheaper than xp per minute I would have thought?
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

BT Manager on my PDA kept crashing, so I've been looking for an alternative method. I've sussed how to manually set it up, but it would be helpful if there wasn't the necessary tweaking.

Gonna look for something more stable than the pre-installed BT manager.

Any further suggestions would be great, if not, your help has led to my getting it working at least. Thank you! :th: