Advice On Dsl Router

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

0lderama
Advanced Member

Post by 0lderama »

Hi all

im in the process of upgrading my bb to cable and i need to replace my adsl router

what are you guys using?

i need a wireless one with N capabilities and basically just gotta be reliable

i am currently looking at this model <a href="http://www.techworld.co.nz/netgear-wndr ... 33727.html" target="_blank">netgear</a>

any advice is greatly appreciated

cheers nick :2t:
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Got a WRT120N here, no problems..
Legthigh
GSV Regular

Post by Legthigh »

<a href="http://www.draytek.co.uk/" target="_blank">Draytek</a> are the shizzle if you want to spend that kind of money.
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Using a Belkin wireless N cable router, cant remember exact model. Hardwired for my PC and wireless for the laptops.
Sometimes have to reboot the router as the net goes down. The net light on the router flashes orange instead of constant blue.

Fairly happy with it overall.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Was networking a Nursing Home a few years ago, linking desktops, security cameras, etc. Went through two or three Belkin routers and they just weren't connecting - wasted hours on them. Belkins' tech support are great, but I'd rather not need them. Netgear have always been a sure thing for me, from Hubs, to Switches, to Routers - never had a bad one yet.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Claw wrote: Was networking a Nursing Home a few years ago, linking desktops, security cameras, etc. Went through two or three Belkin routers and they just weren't connecting - wasted hours on them. Belkins' tech support are great, but I'd rather not need them. Netgear have always been a sure thing for me, from Hubs, to Switches, to Routers - never had a bad one yet.
To be honest my previous Netgear router would do the same, so maybe it is a modem-isp fault. I upgraded my router as I needed to go wireless.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

It could have been a bad batch. Purely from an observers point of view, wanting to keep a market share, Belkin exchanged quality for volume and cheap components.

Their cables and KVM's seem to be great.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Can't blame an isp for your wireless network. If you want to add CTV to your network then it's an access point fault or user fault
Rasputin

ImageImage
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Rasputin wrote: Can't blame an isp for your wireless network. If you want to add CTV to your network then it's an access point fault or user fault
Dunno if it was my point you were referring to, but it was definitely the Belkin routers that were at fault. The network was a mix of cables and wifi because the building was old and had walls like a castle. So, I was running around testing everything until I grabbed an old Netgear router I had at home. That did the job and I've stuck with either Netgear or Linksys ever since - Netgear being a personal favourite.
Legthigh
GSV Regular

Post by Legthigh »

I was a fan of Netgear for a long long time, but since getting this Draytek I'm sticking with them, really good bit of kit, does everything and is rock solid.

We have anywhere from 10-20 devices connected at times, no probs whatsoever.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Just been checking out some of the Draytek offerings and they have quite a few nifty features. Going off some of the reviews, and of course Leg's recommendation, Draytek routers look very comprehensive. :unsure: