European Grand Prix

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

ryanside
Advanced Member

Post by ryanside »

Anyone else watching this? Webber crash was crazy, really does show how safe F1 cars really are
ryanside
Advanced Member

Post by ryanside »

Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Yes I watched the race. I watch them all. Webber walked away from that crash. It's a pity Hamilton got a drive through penalty though.
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

I cant believe they gave him a drive through penalty either.

Its all down to the whinging git Alonso.

Any idea what happened to all the others that were being investigated after the race?
ryanside
Advanced Member

Post by ryanside »

I believe they all got a time penalty for completing a sector too quickly while the satefy car was out. But because there were a lot of them with the penalty, it didnt affect the positions

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Post-race nine drivers were given a five-second penalty because when under the safety car they rushed back to the pits faster than the computer-created 'earliest time of permitted arrival' which is shown on their steering wheels and is used to prevent cars racing when clearly there is a serious incident somewhere.

Jenson Button said he was right on top of the pit lane so had no chance to moderate his in-lap, but all nine drivers could not have been. They should consider themselves lucky to receive such minor penalties, even if Buemi slipped behind Alonso and Sauber's Pedro de la Rosa did lose his point for 10th place. <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 768437.stm" target="_blank">http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 437.stm</a>
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Hamilton was an idiot for overtaking the safety car. He should have been thrown off the race for it. I saw it and he paused then raced ahead of the safety car, what a knobend.
Phant0m
Advanced Member

Post by Phant0m »

Webber was lucky but still think the kubica crash a few years ago was the worst crash for a long time.

Alonso likes to moan but you have to remember these where once team mates, and alonso is at Ferrari who at the moment couldt win the redest car prize. Hes causing problems that dont exsist. Hamiliton was wrong to over take the Saftey car, but if the FIA get on the radio to him straight away and tell him to slow down so the car can get past.

I cant help but think since i have watched F1 Ferrari have always been the team closest to the FIA and can seem to get anything banned or changed with just a simple cry. It certainly does not help now that Todd is now the FIA presendant bring back Mosely.
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Nellyboy wrote: Hamilton was an idiot for overtaking the safety car. He should have been thrown off the race for it. I saw it and he paused then raced ahead of the safety car, what a knobend.
If he hadn't paused he would have made the line before the safety car and not incurred a penalty. It was the pause that just let the safety car across the line first. Plus the safety car was still in the pit lane exit line and not on the racetrack fully. A very close call to make when you are driving at speed.
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Not on the track fully? So now the safety car is part of the race strategy?

How about the golden rule? Safety car = foot off throttle to guarantee safety for all drivers.

Safe thing is to introduce automatic pitlane speed limiter on all cars when safety car moves wherever they are. Then it will be a safe place in case of an accident and all track positions will be static and safe for all.
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

The safety car was still on one side of the white line which is the pit lane exit. When the safety car is deployed a lap time appears on all the drivers steering wheels and they can't exceed this lap time.

So if Lewis hadn't off eased off he would have crossed the safety car line before the safety car and he hadn't gone quicker than he should have done.
The safety car plays a big part in the race strategy. In the Canadian GP a lot of cars didn't have full race fuel on board because the safety car had been deployed in previous Canadian GP's. They were expecting the safety car out at some time during the race. This didn't happen and the front cars had to switch to fuel saving strategies.
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

White lines should not mean anything when the safety car is on or off it. The whole point of the safety car is to create a safe working area for the recovery crews and crash site and is not part of any race strategy. If it is out for 10 laps then make the race 10 laps shorter.
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Nellyboy wrote: White lines should not mean anything when the safety car is on or off it. The whole point of the safety car is to create a safe working area for the recovery crews and crash site and is not part of any race strategy. If it is out for 10 laps then make the race 10 laps shorter.
I agree with the part in bold, but every team has a rule book. They interpret the rules in the book in their own way and bend the rules. Hence double defusers, F- Ducts, safety car not fully on track etc. It's then up to the race director to see if they teams have broken the rules.

At no point was Lewis going to collide with the safety car! :mm2:

EDIT: <a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 772058.stm" target="_blank">Sour Grapes</a>
Last edited by Hammer on Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.