Got A Call Today...

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Got a a phone call from these people today... <a href="http://www.supportonecare.com" target="_blank">SupportOneCare</a>... offering to sort out my computers problems... :rolleyes:

You'll have to do the Indian accent yourselves... I was watching the Africa v France match muted throughout this.

SOC: "We are calling because as partners of Microsoft we have been told you have a problem with your computer."

Me: "Oh, that's kind of you, what's wrong with my computer?"

SOC: "Well, if you are sat in front of your computer..."

Me: "Yes..." (I wasn't, my computer was off.)

[At this point I was asked to click on Run and type "eventvwr", which as you will know brings up the event viewer window and logs.]

SOC: "Do you see any messages in the 'System' information?"

Me: "Yes there are quite a list of messages."

SOC: "Well, I'm sorry to tell you they mean your computer has a lot of errors and that your hard disk is going to crash and you are going to lose all your information."

Me: "Really?!! Oh no, what am I going to do now?"

SOC: "Well, sir, don't worry. I will transfer you to one of our technicians and he will help you solve those problems."

[I was then put through to the 'Technician']

SOC: "Hello, sir, I've just heard about all your troubles. We will help you fix them"

[I was then asked to type the "www.supportonecare.com" URL into the Run window which opened my browser to their website]

SOC: "Please choose which support service you would like, 6 months, 1 year, or two years"

Me: "Which one would you suggest for my problems?"

SOC: "2 years sir"

Me: "Thank you very much"

[moments later...]

Me: "Each time I click on it the 2 year option there is an error..."

[There wasn't really, I'm ratcheting up the wind-up now]

SOC: "Really?"

Me: "Hmm, oh well..."

[I was asked to type the URL into the Run window again. After deliberately mishearing his spelling it to me 5 times he was now screaming the spelling down the phone at me, he was trying a whole variety of phonetics - I was quite impressed at how many words he knew that begin with 'N']

SOC: "Okay, let's try something different... I know your surname, could you tell me how you spell your first name, please?"

[He was sounding a little exasperated now, and I think he was going to fill in the form for me.]

Me: "S for sugar, T for train, U for uniform, P for peter, I for indigo, D for dog."

[There was a pause]

SOC: "How do you pronounce that, please?"

Me: "How do you think it is pronounced?"

SOC: "I pronounce it... Stupid..."

Me: "Yes, that's right."

SOC: "Your first name is Stupid? We have your first initial as G."

Me: "Ah, okay, are you ready?"

SOC: "Yes."

Me: "G for girl, U for uniform, L for lima, L for lima, I for indigo, B for box, L for lima, E for egg."

SOC: "Gullible?"

Me: "Yes."

SOC: "Okay, I'm going to give you something else to type into the Run window."

Me: "Okay."

SOC: "Type... www.logmein123.com"

Me: "How should I type the 123?"

SOC: "NUMBERS 1... 2... 3....!!!" (Angry!)

Me: "Ah, I see, www.logmeinNUMBERS123.com"

SOC: "NO NO NO!!! Listen to me now, just 1, 2, 3!!!"

Me: "Do I type the numbers like O-N-E, T-W"

(sharply interrupted)

SOC: "NO NO NO - Numeric numbers, numeric numbers 1, 2, 3!!! JUST Numbers!!!!"

Me: "Ah, I see, some thing's happened."

SOC: "What do you see?"

[I've not got my computer on, so I don't know what I was supposed to see]

Me: "Erm... it says 'Thank you'"

[Long pause]

SOC: "It can't be saying that"

Me: "Oh..."

SOC: "Whose bank card do you use?"

Me: "Mine"

SOC: "I mean is it Visa or something else?"

Me: "Something else."

SOC: "We've been doing this for some time now, I'll need to bring it to a conclusion. Can you give me your bank details to arrange your support?"

Me: "No."

SOC: "Are you kidding me? How old are you?"

I then began a long ranting lecture telling him I had recorded the conversation (I managed to record two thirds at least) and I was going to report them for attempting to take advantage of vulnerable people. At some point through my rant he hung up. The conversation must have lasted about 30 mins.

Some months ago I had a friend respond to one of those bank emails... his account was completely wiped out including his over-draft... his bank would only cover his over-draft, he lost his savings and a recent inheritance his wife received. He now doesn't have a penny to his name.
Last edited by Claw on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

They should have to come to your doorstep to sell services. Nothing a cold bucket of water cant fix.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

People tend not to knock on my door so I dont need to waste the water, weird how having two dogs at the gate makes people think twice..
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Nellyboy wrote: They should have to come to your doorstep to sell services. Nothing a cold bucket of water cant fix.
It'll get yer done for common assault that. :o

If their friendly I don't mind chatting, even if it is they are selling something. It can also be quite a bit of fun. Had some Bods from Sky call around offering all their HD gear and "ubrrr" 20Mbps Internet connection.

I asked him where the nearest exchange was and he said a location that must be easily 15 to 20 miles away. So, I told him that with such a distance I'd only get a 2Mbps connection... and with his bright white toothy smile he said "UPTO 20Mbps Internet connection"... that's what the "ubrrr" was... as his teeth were brighter than he was I asked him why I would want to swap a 10Mbps cable connection for a 2Mbps ADSL connection... it didn't change the brightness of his teeth but there was a definite pitiable glazing across the eyes. I just shook his hand and thanked him for calling... he was still smiling... :rolleyes:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
ryanside
Advanced Member

Post by ryanside »

Sounds like this scam is hitting a few people:

<a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/05 ... d_calling/" target="_blank">http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/05 ... alling/</a>
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Ryanside wrote: Sounds like this scam is hitting a few people:

<a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/05 ... d_calling/" target="_blank">http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/05 ... alling/</a>
That's exactly what they are doing... that's them alright...
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

I know this is an old thread, but I got another call from these people today, and I know a few others who are being called by them. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it would be a very good idea to warn people you feel may be vulnerable to their phone scam.

Today I pretended to misunderstand the six digit code they need to log into my computer via that website for easily 20 minutes. They all had Indian accents, and I had 5 of them passing the phone between each other trying their best English language skills to help me understand in the right sequence the code 807167... I wish I could have recorded it. Eventually I just started laughing at them because I couldn't contain myself anymore.

When it dawned on them what I was doing one of them started swearing at me, said he was going to castrate me, "forward this call to your father", and then he "was going to marry my mother"... :lol:

I'm really looking forward to when they next call. :D