Bfbc2 Patch Today

Also BF2, BFBC2

Moderator: Hammer

Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

We have had a lot of questions about Battlefield: Bad Company 2 on all platforms about the issues some have had. Here we will answer some of the more common questions, some will help you get in game, others will give an insight to what we are working on.

This Q&A isn't a definitive list by any means and we are aware of and are working on more than these issues:

Connection issues to EA servers

EA Online has been adding more capacity to handle the high number of player connections to EA servers. This is an ongoing process but we currently have enough capacity to handle all BFBC2 connections.

Manually install PunkBuster on PC

If you are getting an error that Punkbuster hasn't installed correctly for reasons such as Windows admin permissions not allowing Punkbuster to be installed, then go to www.evenbalance.com and download PBSetup.exe. When prompted, point PBSetup at your BFBC2 install directory and then check for updates. A PC restart maybe needed once this is done for Windows to pick up Punkbusters location.

PunkBuster kicks with the following error message : « punkbuster kicked player 'PLAYER NAME' (for 0 minutes) ... RESTRICTION: Service Communication. »

This is a Windows Vista/Windows 7 permissions issue that affects all Punkbuster games. To solve this issue download and run PBSVC from <a href="http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/pbsvc/pbsvc.exe" target="_blank">http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/pbsvc/pbsvc.exe</a>

When clicking on a server to join, nothing happens.

This is fixed in a patch going out on PC today.

Server Browser bugged: All the following browser issues are things the team is currently working on improving.

Too slow This is caused by the current browser system. - A new system is being developed by the BFBC2 PC team to improve the server browser

Displaying inaccurate number of players connected on game servers - This is caused by the difference in server status between when the refresh was initiated and when the results display.

No ping displayed - This is caused by Windows admin privileges. To view ping in the server browser run BFBC2.exe with administrator privileges.

High pings even on local game servers. We're actually showing game latency instead of ping.

This is basically how far behind the client is compared to the server. We try to keep the server a small portion in front of the clients so they in most cases can use replicated data until they get the next ghost update from the server. If they get a lag spike they will start predicting the state when they run out of information, however, the basic idea is to smooth out the experience compared to everything having to be corrected when the predictions are slightly off.

After being disconnected, some people got their stats temporary reset.

The team is investigating this issue, we have no solution at this point. Please report any stat loss here: <a href="http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/batt ... stats.html" target="_blank">http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/batt ... ts.html</a>

When people try to reconnect to their profile, the game asks for the serial number again

This has been fixed on the entitlement side hence no patch is needed. A really small number of people got affected by this.

360 accounts will be “resetâ€
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Yeah, worked out that Admin privilege thing yesterday... now I'm getting the pings on the browser.

Must admit, I was getting excited when I saw this header on this thread, thought there was going to be a real update.

Thanks H, vigilant as ever!! :th:

My stats aren't updating... and they aren't the stats that I want every one to see.... :blush:
Last edited by Claw on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Aye, what a numpty... there was an update after all wasn't there? Sorry... forgot that updates done online... :rolleyes:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

*UPDATE* 522175 is going live now. STEAM will launch later, possibly tomorrow, as it needs to go through extra QA before it goes live on Steam.

Version 522175 is going live within a couple of minutes. This has fixed the multiplayer map CTD's we experienced with 522174.

[NOTE: 522175 is merely a re-packaging of the datafiles from 522174. Therefore, version 522175 reports itself as 522175 in the auto-patcher, but does still say "522174" in the game's splash screen.]

Changelog for 522175

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Quote:
Single Player -
Fixed: Graphical issues on some systems on SP_03 (at start and when displaying background mountains at “Up riverâ€
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

I was getting a blue sun... I took a screenie but dunno where it's put it... I put it down to my video card, but it may be something instead of nothing.
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

<a href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... 0&site=pcg" target="_blank">PC Gamers take on the patch fiasco</a>
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

The majority of these problems has got to be with the user's systems. I mean, none of us are having these issues are we?

The server browser does what it says on the tin now and is quite adequate.

My system is below spec graphically, and that is the only issue. I have to play with medium video settings at the moment, that's all.

I wonder if their problems are down to their not running a clean system, or they are running a myriad of nonsense performance tweaker apps that in actuallity serve as no other purpose than 'go faster stripes.'
Last edited by Claw on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slatz
GSV Regular

Post by Slatz »

Claw wrote: Yeah, worked out that Admin privilege thing yesterday... now I'm getting the pings on the browser.

Must admit, I was getting excited when I saw this header on this thread, thought there was going to be a real update.

Thanks H, vigilant as ever!! :th:

My stats aren't updating... and they aren't the stats that I want every one to see.... :blush:
So how do I do the admin thing in Win 7.

I've tried setting the shortcut as Run in admin mode. No success on the ping view.

Any other clues?
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Slatz wrote: So how do I do the admin thing in Win 7.

I've tried setting the shortcut as Run in admin mode. No success on the ping view.

Any other clues?
The shortcut you use to start the game, instead of left clicking as you would normally, right click it and choose 'Run as Administrator'. The game will start and you should then see the server pings.

:)
Slatz
GSV Regular

Post by Slatz »

That didn't work. Is it a fresh install? tried telling everywhre I can find that this is to run in Admin mode. :(
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Slatz wrote: That didn't work. Is it a fresh install? tried telling everywhre I can find that this is to run in Admin mode. :(
Are you running Windows 7?

Disabling UAC

Click on Start.

Type/paste this in the Search field: "UserAccountControlSettings.exe" (without the quotes)

In the window that opens you can completely turn off Admin paranoia... (or UAC) but I would suggest you do this only to establish whether it is Admin controls that are blocking ping requests.

If this doesn't work then I would then check your Firewall or your Router, as either or both could be blocking results.

Router:
My suspicions are that it will be your Router... you will just need to look for a tick box or the like that blocks responses to ping requests. It may be something like 'Block ICMP', and what you need to do is allow it.

Firewall:
Are you using a firewall? Which one, please? If it is the standard Windows offering then it probably isn't the problem here.

Sorting this out is going to be really worth it Slatz, cos once you're on with the guys and you're on the back of a quad bike with Nelly, or listening to Thane squawking about being taken down by a cork fired from a champagne bottle 500 miles away, or when you get fished because your were distracted by trying to work out what on earth Hammer just said in his fine Geordie accent, or Rasputin has led you to a flag with every enemy tank on that map sat around it, or Megazone... Megazone, erm... he seemed normal tbh... in fact I don't remember seeing much of either of them the last we battled together... but anyway, all of this adds a new dimension to the game.

It's the :gsv: experience...
Last edited by Claw on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slatz
GSV Regular

Post by Slatz »

Turned off the UAC thingy, no difference.

Can't find anything like that command in my ancient router D-Link DI-524

Firewall is Bitdefender, using it in Game mode which is meant to be game friendly.

Anything else under the bonnet I should play with/break?
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

I've found an option in your Router... well not YOUR Router, don't panic I'm no hax0r... but if you nip back into your router and then:

Advanced > Firewall

In the Firewall section there is reference to "Firewall Rules List". By some means you should be able to allow permission for the Router to be pinged as depicted in this image: (note the reference to ICMP in the protocols column)

[attachmentid=230]

As for Bitdefender, if you still don't have your manual, you can download it <a href="http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/solutions/ ... urity.html" target="_blank">from here</a>.

If you have a look at sections 25.1.1 to 25.1.3 (in the manual) it gives a description on how to add a game to automatic game mode. In fact it might be helpful just to have a read through section 25 to see if it is configured to your expectations. As you have probably gathered, I don't use Bitdefender. :)

If you scoot over to section 22.3.4, you will notice there are two reference examples to the ICMP protocol. In your Bitdefender Advanced Rules section, are they there, and are they "Allowed"?

If none of this makes any difference then I'm reaching the stumped phase. :unsure: