Battlefield Bad Company 2 Securom Drm Details

Also BF2, BFBC2

Moderator: Hammer

Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A post on the <a href="http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlef ... ction.aspx" target="_blank">Battlefield Blo</a>g has details on how SecuROM DRM will work in the closed beta of Battlefield Bad Company 2, as well as the release version of the military shooter sequel. The state: "The version which we use is a wrapper around the main game executable. It does everything it can by running as a 'normal' program; it does not install any sort of kernel software," so no software is permanently installed, SecuROM only runs when you are playing the game, and uninstalling the game also uninstalls the SecuROM software.

SecuROM is used on the beta to prevent modification of the game client, and will be completely uninstalled when the beta is removed. For the full game, SecuROM will be used for online authentication, but this is only required if you do not have the DVD in the drive. For DVD-free play, the game can be authenticated on 10 machines, and de-authorization is available, and uninstalling the game will automatically de-authorize a PC (which required being online).

They add that though this entitles you to play on 11 machines (10 authentications plus the game DVD), you can only play the game on one machine at a time. They also note that SecuROM will be present on the Steam version of the game, saying: "The Steam edition will also have SecuROM. We are working closely with Steam to make the integration well-functioning." <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

At least we can play this without the DVD in the machine, progress :2t:
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

Bets on how long before the first hacks are out :lol:
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Apparently there is no prone in this version, so that should stop the dolphin divers :2t:
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

A bit more video from the <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEFfX9Nn ... r_embedded" target="_blank">BETA</a>. The game has gone GOLD, so should be out on time :2t:
See you all soon on the Battlefield. :gsv:
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Graphically it's a masterpiece.

Maybe they were just n00bs in those clips, I'm just concerned at how easy the hardware like Tanks, etc, are to take out, and the apparent lack of strategy or teamplay.

Those clips made the game look like a bad night on a CS Server full of n00bs... I'm on wait and see mode at the mo... :unsure:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

What other than better gfx does it bring to the table?
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Dunno... :unsure:

But if I was just after a frantic run-around blast at other online gamers I wouldn't bother making any kind of upgrades to my PC for this kind of thing, I'd just reinstall the original UT and have just as much fun with something more imaginative.

Every video I've seen of BFBC2 has lacked any intelligent gameplay, yet appears to be targeting a more adult market because of its content. Many of the videos have a sniper running around like he's assault, etc.

Is this what 'getting old' sounds like? :blink:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

My frantic run/shoot is back to CS:S, playing over on the xvc server..
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

Bare in mind that BFBC was a console game so don't expect much in the way of thought needed to play the game. Probably doesn't have prone as there is not enough keys on the gamepad.
Last edited by Rasputin on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Rasputin wrote: Bare in mind that BFBC was a console game so don't expect much in the way of thought needed to play the game. Probably doesn't have prone as there is not enough keys on the gamepad.
Ooh 'eck... ported from a console... that's a thought... :(