Browser

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

I am really enjoying using the opera browser. I have used it at home and work for a while now. If you get time give it a go. it does loads of stuff.

Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

I have been using Chrome by Google. Does that job and doesn't hog the system's resources like firefox. Used Opera A few years ago it's pretty neat and t'ing.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Thane
Advanced Member

Post by Thane »

Firefox has addons that add a bunch of security so I'll stick with it.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

With Thane on that, in addition to the security there are the other useful apps such as download helper that allows you to just drop a video clip onto your hard drive and converts it to various formats in the process.

But, nothong comes closer to Opera Mobile for pda's, etc. They've recently brought out version 10, but I maybe going back to 9.6 I think it was as 10 is more geared to a pda phone thingy. I prefer to keep my phone and pda as seperate items.

Chrome is a technical jump forward for browsers, but I'm worried about the Google baggage that comes with it, and from what I hear it still as some way to go in terms of security.

So, Firefox is still the favorite for me for the foreeable future.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

I have seen firefox on take up over 2 Gb of RAM on my machine after an afternoon of surfing forums, watching iplayer and the such. I have tried changing the caching parts of it, but it just hog's the System resources and for a browser that's just not on. I had used Firefox for years but even IE seems to be better now a days. So I use Chrome for the Windows box and Amaya for the Linux box(Where I do all the banking and financial Transactions)

Opera is Great if you know a bit of Javascript you can write your own add-ins for things. That and it's quick to load page contents like pictures and flash.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Rasputin wrote: I have seen firefox on take up over 2 Gb of RAM on my machine after an afternoon of surfing forums, watching iplayer and the such. I have tried changing the caching parts of it, but it just hog's the System resources and for a browser that's just not on. I had used Firefox for years but even IE seems to be better now a days. So I use Chrome for the Windows box and Amaya for the Linux box(Where I do all the banking and financial Transactions)

Opera is Great if you know a bit of Javascript you can write your own add-ins for things. That and it's quick to load page contents like pictures and flash.
2GB :blink:

I've never measured it for that kinda problem, as I've always considered it better at handling resources than IE, simply thinking that anything is better that IE. I'm gonna monitor it and see how things go.

If what you have observed is happening on my system then Opera maybe my next step. Chrome is architecturally brilliant, but perhaps needs to mature a little more, kinda prove itself. What concerns me about Chrome is the background apps that I'm not fully appreciating their purpose at the moment. Why does it need a service constantly running checking for updates?

Amaya, not seen or even heard of it, but I still have my love for Linux with it being so 'ard... secure, and reliable. With you on the banking, etc.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Thane
Advanced Member

Post by Thane »

Claw wrote: 2GB :blink:

I've never measured it for that kinda problem, as I've always considered it better at handling resources than IE, simply thinking that anything is better that IE.
IE would never get to 2gb memory used, it would crash before that!