Child Web Protection Software

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

A friend of mine is wanting to know what the best methods for protecting their children is while allowing them to surf.

They've got a new machine with Vista on which I believe has the control available to only allow an account to view certain sites and no others. Just wondered if they can do the same thing on XP or whether there was anything software wise that people would recommend?

I've already told them that I think the PC should be in a room downstairs where they are more likely to be able to have a peek over their shoulders without having to actually purposefullly check up on them all the time.

They'll buy whatever the software is if it's good and does what's needed ;)

So any advise?

Thanks

Myo
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

You can do filtering thru IE...

How olds the kid, cos one thing I have found is they get friends round that try to get around the filtering and generally frak things up..

Nothing beats a knowledgable adult watching over the shoulder.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

I used to use <a href="http://www.cybersitter.com/" target="_blank">Cybersitter.</a>

It's highly configurable and the version I used was a resource anorexic. Not only does it restrict websites, or only allow specific websites, but it can protect your system also by disabling access to Task manager, etc.

It's security is user specific, so that if you log in for example, it disables itself.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

Trig wrote: You can do filtering thru IE...

How olds the kid, cos one thing I have found is they get friends round that try to get around the filtering and generally frak things up..

Nothing beats a knowledgable adult watching over the shoulder.
Boys 9 and daughters 7, if my memory serves. Friends coming round and messing about won't be a problem, that wouldn't be allowed (strict parents ;) )
Claw wrote: I used to use <a href="http://www.cybersitter.com/" target="_blank">Cybersitter.</a>

It's highly configurable and the version I used was a resource anorexic. Not only does it restrict websites, or only allow specific websites, but it can protect your system also by disabling access to Task manager, etc.

It's security is user specific, so that if you log in for example, it disables itself.
Thanks Claw, I'll check out cybersitter and see if that will do what they need.