Av Reciever

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Hello all,

Does anybody use/have an AV amp/reciever ?
I'm very tempted to add this to my setup as it has a few benefits that a regular 5.1 home cinema all in 1 box doesn't in that it is infinitely upgradeable and you aren't bound to one brand.

So what do people have/use ? Mine will be used for the TV and media box, plus an ipod dock. I'm unsure on whether I can get a reliable output from my 360 and retain the hdmi lead to the TV, shouldn't be an issue though....
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Hi Andrew, I am thinking of a set of Logitech Z-5500's amp/speakers for the front room. Space is limited so would fit right into the tight spaces.

Other brands I would consider if I had more space for a kickin amp are:

Onkyo
Denon
Yamaga
Marantz
Pioneer
Nad

and speakers:

Tannoy
Mordant Short
Yamaha
M&K
Kef

Getting on well with my HDX1000 media player, just ordered a sata to compact flash adapter and a card so I can run it silently.

Good luck with amp choice and dont forget.

Power is nothing without control :gsv:
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

i've been toying with a couple of choices, both a sony and a yamaha. the guy in richer sounds was very helpful, however all hes done is give me choice on everything which is annoying....... :)
I'm going to pop in again hopefully on friday and chew a few ideas over again. Even when i've decided what amp, theres then the minefield of speakers, oh and don't mention wiring :P
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

An important thing to remember Andrew is that, No matter How good your speakers and amp are if you have poor quality cables and remember that Electrical interference from other electrical cables can hamper your sound quality.

Oh, I almost forgot that speakers will sound different in the shop to in the home. It's something to do with the accoustics and dimensions of the room.

Thats as much advice as I can give really wouldn't know my ass from my elbow nowadays with audio/visual brands.
Rasputin

ImageImage
Thane
Advanced Member

Post by Thane »

I hear this one is good

<a href="http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct ... XSR606-BLK" target="_blank">http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct ... 606-BLK</a>

I want to get it but no idea about what to put with it.
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

I have AV amp set-up. Some Big Yamaha I bought a couple of years back and 5.1 A&E speakers - Floor standing fronts, bookshelf surrounds, centre and active sub. It shakes the room :) Not cheap, but I always been into Hi-Fi. Amp is video switching which can be nice, but not so good now that connections are HDMI and it doesnt have them. Amp can be switched to "Pure" mode for music and the quality is about the same as a reasonable mid range amp, so I lost a bit there.
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Sounds like i have a similar setup to clingy.
I have a yamaha mid range av amp with component connections.

It's great tbh, i have my media centre, ps2 and wii all going through it, saves having to mess around with tv channels. I also have a phono to headphone plug sitting around the back so i can plug an ipood straight in.

Modern av amps definitely have hdmi connections on them, i was having a look at a new yamaha amp in richer sounds just the other day.

Mine only has 2 component connections which is annoying (or will be if i ever get something else that requires a connection). But other than that, i've had no issues with it at all, i always have people mention how good the sound is when i crank it up.
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Thane wrote: I hear this one is good

<a href="http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct ... XSR606-BLK" target="_blank">http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct ... 606-BLK</a>

I want to get it but no idea about what to put with it.
<a href="http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/on ... txt%3bpage" target="_blank">Review here</a>
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Ok had a chat today at richer sounds and it seems after a demo that the Onkyo 606 is worth the extra money. 4 seperate people have now rated it very highly, and its worth the exta compared to the sony. I was very impressed with the demo they had setup and the quality was outstanding on all levels.

1 small issue has arisen, speakers, basically I didn't particularly want an AV reciever until recently and was all set to have a budget of ~£400, now the introduction of the Onkyo and a different speaker package means i'll be spending the thick end of £800 possibly more with incidentals like wiring etc.
I want it, however, I cannot justify it to myself just yet as it eats into my toy fund.
So thanks for ya help fellas, but i'm going to keep my eyes peeled on ebay :)
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Keep a keen eye <a href="http://www.avforums.com/index.php" target="_blank">here</a> at avforums. There in the forums you will find the classified section full of home cinema buffs upgrading kit and shiftin the old stuff. Imo a great place to source stuff on a tight budget.
0lderama
Advanced Member

Post by 0lderama »

i can vouch for that ive just picked this up this week
For Sale : Yamaha DSP-AX640SE
I wanting to upgrade my amplifier to one with HDMI switching so am selling my Yamaha DSP-AX640SE in titanium finish.

Its a cracking amp with Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS ES Discrete 6.1, DTS Neo:6, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1

3 x optical and 1 x coaxial digital inputs, CD, tuner, tape loop, 6 channel input, 6.1 channel pre-outputs, front-mounted optical input

Full specs available here.

DISCONTINUED YAMAHA DSPAX640SE HOME CINEMA AMPLIFIER - available from Superfi UK Visit <a href="http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page ... ct_id/1431" target="_blank">http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page ... id/1431</a> for details

It is mint condition apart from one small mark on the top edge.

Comes with a universal remote and manual (although manual is missing the front corner of the cover)

I am looking for £120 ONO including delivery by DHL48 (Parcel2Go) via BT or Paypal Gift.

i got it for 100

and it rocks i also did the xbox 360 conversion where i can stick a hdmi lead in and also stick a optical lead out from it so i get 5.1

theres alway a bargain on there

cheers oldie
Thane
Advanced Member

Post by Thane »

Seems like buying speakers is the costly issue!
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Aye speakers ain't cheap, however you do get what you pay for as the demo prooved.

@Nelly: I do skim over AVF now and then, and a fair bit lately. Can't wait to get my own place to put a decenet setup in, some really good ideas on that forum.
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Just looked at my Yamaha and its the DSP-AX750SE. Yeah speakers are the expensive bit....cost around £800 a few years back. In truth I would prefer better quality for music, but I just don't sit down and listen nowadays.
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

My speaker setup is budget, i have a set of eltax 200's or something, floor standing speakers, £35 each now i think, i paid a bit more but that was 2 years ago, i also have the matching sub which was under £50, an eltax centre which i got off ebay for £15 and a set of eltax mini's for my surround which i havn't hooked up yet but they were under a tenner each.

I spent a fair bit on the cabling to try to get the best out of them and to me they sound brilliant, i can't fault them and the sub really brings out the sound. I wont be upgrading these for a long time.