What Do You Think Of This?

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Recent bike article had my shaft drive bike as the 4th fastest 0-60 time (3.02seconds). I have no doubt that even at 300kg it would wheelie!
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Just passed my practical :)

2 minor faults, dead chuffed!

All have a virtual Jagermeister on me!

Now where's my XJ? ;) shut it turts
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

:whis:

Congrats on passing bud :)

ps.. you'll find all that you need <a href="http://www.milky.org.uk/xargle/mmyg/" target="_blank">here</a> Hipps :)
Last edited by Turts on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

LMAO!
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

Are you that desperate to buy a bike that you couldn't save up a little more and buy something that didn't start with so many problems. Talking about plugging a hole in the exhaust with a bit of liquid metal just makes me think where else has been let go before you buy it?

So what it really needs is a new zorst, maybe a few other new parts to bring it back to decent condition and it's still going to be an old bike. Also I know that bikes don't generally tend to do as many miles as cars but is the mileage genuine? seems a little low to me, esp when he declared it as 28k and when you saw the bike it's only 21k, that would make me very suspicious as most people would quote mileage to within the nearest thou not 6-7 thou out as it means quite a lot on something that has done under 30K % wise!
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

I've been patching holes in my zorst fr years....

even some of the patches have patches...

Why waste £300...

;)
Honey Badger
Advanced Member

Post by Honey Badger »

I've always preferred trail bikes - much more practical in my view for a mix of commuting, jaunts out with the missus etc. The ride position suits me better and i like the better visibility particularly in town.

I probably can't add anything of value to the above other than this interesting perspective i found on the net on chains v shafties:

click <a href="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ukAhlxl4hmM" target="_blank">here</a>
ryanside
Advanced Member

Post by ryanside »

haha absolutely class video! seen a few using that clip that one really did make me laugh!

"but Ewan and Chalie rode round hte world..." :lol:
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

Myo.... regarding milage... I haven't ridden my old '99 nail since 2005 and I think it's got 20k on it.. but when you consider the majority of that milage has been put on in about 8 x 7 to 10 day trips abroad...it makes it very feasible for someone to own a bike for 10years and only put a few thousand on it. A mate has a couple of bikes and his Fireblade has about 1.3k on it and it 3 years old... he rides it when its bone dry and thats it !! .. plus he's loaded and can afford to have a nice ride sat in his garage.

I think there may be a bettr bike out there for you Hipps.. BUT.. if that ones taken your fancy, then go for it bud... and enjoi (it's the same as anything... you buy something and heyho someone nextroor offers you the bargain of the year !
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Yes, the mileage is genuine, it comes with a wad of old MOT's, the bikes barely been ridden in the last year.

And when you say 'so many problems', now the works been done, the only thing i'm left with is a tiny pin sized hole on the exhaust and a cracked seat fairing.
It's an old bike, it's always going to have problems, i'd rather get something cheap and reliable and get some experience while i save up for the bike i want.

I'm picking it up tomorrow :)
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

Was pointing to the fact that the mileage was rather over quoted in the add, maybe because of that your getting a bargain here although I'm suspicious when people over quote mileage which then miraculously drops when you get to see cars ;)

Also Hippy, when you say a few problems it generally means the brakes are naf, the steering's shot, the body work is rusty and needs replacing, and the reason your getting a bike is to replace some worn old car that probably spent more time under your spanner than running you around :P (or seemed like it from your posts ;) )

Just my observations and again I know nothing about bikes really other than I won't be getting one ever as I wouldn't be safe on it ;)
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Well having checked the advert again, the mileage was quoted correctly, the email he sent me afterwards was overquoted, either way, it's 21k backed up with lots of MOT's, and the lots of problems are nothing serious and all being sorted by him anyway, don't worry yourself mayo, i checked the brakes :) all the important stuff has just been done, brand new brakes, tyres and wheel bearings.

As for my car, it's fine! i bought it so i could learn how to mess around with engines, i posted stuff about it because i thought people would be interested. For a 30 year old car, it only ever let me down once in the 4 years i was running it on a commute of over 30 miles a day. The bike isn't to replace the car, it's to ease my wallet and take some of the load off my car.
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Well, picked it up last night, the guy had done all the work i wanted him to, and replaced a cracked indicator lens i didn't notice. Also got an extra key cut as it only had one with it.
He also filled the tank up to the top which was nice of him, and offered me another £25 off because he didn't have time to adjust the idle of the carbs, I've arranged for a local bike shop to give it the once over :) but £25 will buy me a 4 carb balancing plenum thingy.

Cleaned it up last night and it's back to its former glory, the only thing that lets it down is the pipes but hey, it's cheap :)

I can honestly say this thing is PLENTY fast enough for me! I know turts you say it's a slow bike but really, it'll do 140 supposedly if i pushed it and has a claimed 0-60 time of 5.5 seconds.

I opened it up a bit on the way home, from 40 - 60 came up in a little over a second, once it hits 4k rpm it lets loose a bit, up to then it's quite controllable.
It'll definitely see me through for a year or so and take me on a few adventures :)
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

Hipps ...hope you have fun bud :)

When I said it was slow... I'm comparing it to the average 'sports' bike ..eg CBR6 ZX6 R6 etc ... and yes .. I know there's a world of difference between those 3 anyway... the 600Div that I rode wallowed about like Clingys arse and had a 0-60 that my Beanie could better in the swimming pool !!
Sounds like the guy was genuine enough though m8e.. if he's been good enough to sort those bits out and the £25 also is a def result..
Now get yer fat arse over here so I can have a looksie ;)
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Alls well that ends ok then :)