Restricted/unrestricted Insurance Costs

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Right, now finally starting to seriously think about my big bike test, i'd like some opinions.
Basically, my limiting factor about what to do comes down to money.

As i own a 125 bike, i know that by doing my restricted test, i would save myself around £300, so i'm just wondering what the sort of insurance costs i'll be looking at with (for example) an SV650 on an unrestricted license compared to a 33bhp license.

My test center has said that i can pay for the DAS course over a longer period with 0% interest, so paying £500 instead of £200 isn't that big a deal. But if i have to spend an extra £300 on the test, then have to spend an extra amount on the insurance, it'll just mean i have less money to spend on a bike.

At the monent, i have about £1700 (as an absolute maximum) to spend including test, bike and insurance.

What say you? do i do the full test and risk only having about £700 to spend on a bike, or do i do the restricted test and have about 1200 to spend?

I don't really care about having 33bhp for a couple of years,

Also, does anyone have a theory test book and cd i could nick? :)

Cheers!
Last edited by Hippy on Wed May 21, 2008 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Full Test....get it out of the way as soon as possible IMHO.

With regard to insurance costs just go and get online quotes giving a load of hypethetical data....that will give you a clue.

Oh....and when you can have more than 33bhp.....you can have some of the 160bhp I have. I just can't use it all.....I can't even redline her :blush: .
Last edited by Clingy on Wed May 21, 2008 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

160? that's nuts!
I don't want that much power.

Mind you, your bike does have to haul a large unairodynamic sized object around with it :P

I've done some quotes, but just wondered if anyone had any real life experiences.

I may try to sell my bike and buy a big bike to do my test on to save some cash, that does mean spending money on my car so i can use it in the mean time though :/
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

Clingy wrote: Full Test....get it out of the way as soon as possible IMHO.

With regard to insurance costs just go and get online quotes giving a load of hypethetical data....that will give you a clue.

Oh....and when you can have more than 33bhp.....you can have some of the 160bhp I have. I just can't use it all.....I can't even redline her :blush: .

diet ????? ;) :boff:

Best to get test passed Hipps.. and wait until you're 40+ to insure it :) ZX6... £112 fully comp :P
Last edited by Turts on Wed May 21, 2008 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

I'm not a biker but I'd do the DAS then hold off on getting a bigger bike and save some more money, at least you'll have the option to buy if something nice comes along and you'll have a little more cash to spare by then.

Be a pain to have to wait the 2 years imho
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Turts wrote: diet ????? ;) :boff:
See you next Tuesday!

;)
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

You guys off to fat camp together?
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

What are Hornet 600's like as a first big bike?
I love em but don't like the look of the hornet 400. Too fast?
Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

Personally I would get the full test out of the way then if you have to , pick up an older bike for a few years .
Try your current insurer for a quote (You're still riding the 125 ?) also think about a limited mileage policy unless you are intending to use the bike for 12 months of the year Wont make much difference but every little helps .
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

It will be my only transport until i can be arsed to put my car back on the road.
Still riding the 125 yeah, costs me £70 a year at the moment, TP only. through bennets. Obviously will shop around.

I've found a few old bandit 400's and some cb400's etc which might be good for a beginner.

I think you're right though, full test is the way forward, then just buy something cheap and rubbish.

My problem is that i did that last time and ended up having to buy something better because the cheap bike i bought was a pile of poop!
Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

Buying an older bike is always a risk , One thing to remember is the smaller the capacity the more likely it is to be a wreck , Larger capacity bikes are usually owned by old gits like me that only use them at weekends in summer :blush:
Personally , given that you have been riding your 125 for nearly 12 months now ? I would be looking for a bike bigger than 400cc , most 400cc bikes have been soundly thrashed tbh but at the end of the day it's your bank account that is going to dictate what you ride (Hence I ride a 19 year old 851 and not a 6 month old 1098R :whis: ) For bargains try looking in Classic motorcycle mechanics magazine , theres usually a good selection of older Japanese bikes in the classifieds even a few I've been tempted by myself .
Thane
Advanced Member

Post by Thane »

Hippy wrote: You guys off to fat camp together?
There's only so much you can do!
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

Thane wrote: There's only so much you can do!

Harsh !! ;)

...from what I'm hearing there's only one person that should be looking at trying the 'Atkins' an thats Fragsta

... but I'd be happy to meet up with Clingy and have a beer whilst he slurps his G&T ..whilst we chat about the benefits of having sufficient blubber between us to save a few quid on the heating bill ;)

Thaney... go do 1 bud ;) :hb: :whis:
Honey Badger
Advanced Member

Post by Honey Badger »

i would agree that the full test is the way forward - but have you considered some of the 0% finance options that are on the go at the moment?

the v-strom immediately springs to mind - good bike with good reviews too...

there's also the bandit 650 as well - never had one myself but a guy i work with put one on the road after his cbt
Last edited by Honey Badger on Sun May 25, 2008 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

Still say the Fazer is probably your best option Hipps..

Apologies if it wasn't you that asked about this before bud.. (may have been Andrew ?)

Anyway.. dig out the old forum notes on it bud... Fazers a great bike and can keep up with the 'big' boys whilst maintaining a decent area for your buttocks to park up on... but if you're into the supersport scene and like the 'mini' bikes they seem to be slinging out nowadays.. then I'm afraid I can't help bud .. have the old zx6r and wouldn't touch a new one.. it's like riding Jaimes BMX !!