Teaching Mathematics In England

Also known as the "Trig and Hippy double act"

Moderator: Trig

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

1. Teaching Maths In 1970
A logger sells a truckload of timber for £100.
His cost of production is 4/5 of the price.
What is his profit?

2. Teaching Maths In 1980
His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or £80.
What is his profit?

3. Teaching Maths In 1990
His cost of production is £80.
Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Maths In 2000
His cost of production is £80 and his profit is £20.
Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Maths In 2008
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands.
He does this so he can make a profit of £20.
What do you think of this way of making a living?
Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers. )
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

:lol:

Well my daughter is at Uni studying Maths and she txt'd me the other day saying she was having to eat a tube of Pringles as part of her studies! Apparently it helped her understand some concept which she started to explain but I fell asleep 10 seconds into the conversation!
Phant0m
Advanced Member

Post by Phant0m »

Rubbish Clingy iv meet ur daughter and i reckon she was eating the pringles ............................... Cause she wanted to and she thought she better explain to you why she was eaten forbidden food

Clingy wrote: :lol:

Well my daughter is at Uni studying Maths and she txt'd me the other day saying she was having to eat a tube of Pringles as part of her studies! Apparently it helped her understand some concept which she started to explain but I fell asleep 10 seconds into the conversation!
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Hyperbolic paraboloids.... hmm... what to do now, talk about them or just eat them? I think if your daughter had armed you with a tube of them you may have succeeded in staying awake too Clingy... :D
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

At my school the maths teacher would stand just behind you with his steel ruler at the ready. Observing you completing the sums with ruler raised above your writing hand. Do it wrong and BAM white knuckle time and an earful of abuse. Hehe and he would drag you up to the blackboard by the earlobe so you could practice your mistake in front of everyone.

I would not of had it any other way.

Thwack...thwack. More please nurse. :D
Phant0m
Advanced Member

Post by Phant0m »

Nellyboy wrote:
Thwack...thwack. More please nurse. :D
Dirty OLD PERV :P :drib: