Cod4

PC & Console gaming
Bronco
Advanced Member

Post by Bronco »

Hi guys
Am I right in thinking that if I can run the cod4 demo then the actual game will run ok?
Thinking about buying it, downloaded the demo and that seems to run fine as long as I keep the res down a bit so will I be ok?

Bronco
Stocky
Advanced Member

Post by Stocky »

Bronco wrote: Hi guys
Am I right in thinking that if I can run the cod4 demo then the actual game will run ok?
Thinking about buying it, downloaded the demo and that seems to run fine as long as I keep the res down a bit so will I be ok?

Bronco
Hi Bronco,

I never ran the demo so I don't know if it was graphically dumbed down or not.
What are your machine's specs?
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Hi, I pressume if the demo runs ok the main game should. My system is a A64X2 @ 2.4g, 2G ram and a ATI 1950XT clocked to XTX speeds. I run 1680x1050 with 2x AA on. Frame rates average between 40-60fps some times they dip to high 20's if there are lots of smoke and action on the screen.

Nelly and Stocky have turned to the dark side and are running new versions of the Nvidia 8800 cards, with better cpu's than mine so the get better FPS.

Back Of The Box says,

HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS

CPU: Intel P4 2.4Ghz / AMD64 2800+ / Intel and AMD 1.8Ghz Dual Core Processor or better supported.

RAM: 512mb XP / 768 Vista

Video Card: Geforce 6600 / ATI 9800 Pro or better

Sound Card 100% Direct X9c

HDD Space: 8G plus 600mb for windows swap file.

I find the levels load really quick as the maps are small and there are no vehicles to drive like BF2.

Hope this helps.
Bronco
Advanced Member

Post by Bronco »

Athlon xp3000 (don't laugh, My main machine is a mac now) gig ram and a nvidia 7800gt, demo runs sweet.

Bronco
Bronco
Advanced Member

Post by Bronco »

I bit the bullet and bought cod4 and it runs ok but I want to upgrade the old machine a bit.

Looking for a motherboard, processor and 2 gig ram. Had a look round and i have never seen so many different processors in my life!!!
Been out of the upgrade loop for too long and don't know what I'm looking at.

Any ideas on what to go for? Don't want to spend too much as this machine will only be for playing games, I know this might limit choices but I want to keep my graphics card as it's not that old so I need agp on the board.
your help will be appreciated

Bronco :gsv:
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

You want to have a search on Ebay see if you can get some cheap parts. It's all down to money really how much do you want to spend?

I had a Asrock Dual sata board which has a PCIE & AGP slots on it. It also runs DDR ram and takes the AMD 939 cpus including X2 but this is not for AM2 cpu's. Just sold my board for £25.

<a href="http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?M ... Dual-SATA2" target="_blank">Full Specs</a>
Bronco
Advanced Member

Post by Bronco »

Thanks Hammer
I want to spend about £160-£180, don't know what I can get for that.
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

this may be of use if anyones still looking for at buying <a href="http://www.gameshadow.com/subscribe.php?newsletter=29" target="_blank">COD4</a>
President Gas
Advanced Member

Post by President Gas »

Install Boot Camp on your Mac, whack XP onit and play it on that. That's what I do. Works a treat.

:)
Last edited by President Gas on Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legthigh
GSV Regular

Post by Legthigh »

I've read they're soon to release some kind of Mac patch so you can play it in OS X too Gas, not sure if its confirmed but sure I read it someplace.
President Gas
Advanced Member

Post by President Gas »

Yeah - March I think. Bootcamp for teh win though :)
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Bronco, I got an ATI 1950XT pcie with a proper quiet cooler on it sitting in a box here, same as Hammer's one. Pm me if you want it for a song mate. Or if Hammer wants to go crossfire?

Nellyboy
Bronco
Advanced Member

Post by Bronco »

I'll pm you later Nelly :hb:
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

Just bought this and BF2 finally :)
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »