Help

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

Venus

Post by Venus »

Am asking you guys this as I know a few of you are good with engines.

I have a ford Mondeao and tonight my cam belt went. I know there is a possibility that means my engine has gone with it. If the head is removed what should I be looking for to see if the head/pistons or whatever the parts are called, are damaged?

Please keep any advice simple after all I am only a woman!! My son has offered to have a look at it but he is not a mechanic.

Thanks guys any advice would be gratefully received.
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Ford Mondeo Owners Club prolly very helpful on their forums.

fmoc in google and you will find it.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Dont know Fords.
Chances are its had a nice bit of valve/piston contact.
Worse case were looking at upto 16 valves and 4 pistons.
Chances are its not that bad, when my cambelt snapped I only managed to bend a few valves,

Order of business, take head off, check the state of the valves and pistons.

If your really lucky then you might not have bent any valves, in which case you could get away with sticking a new cambelt on it, until u get that head off you wont know...
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

What he said ^^^^^^^^^
Venus

Post by Venus »

Thanks for the advice but the car is no more :mm2: well it's not worth the repair cost. I have been quoted £900/£1000 to reapir it or £250 for a repalcement engine plus the same again to fit it. Both take the car above what it is worth. Just anoyed that I had 2 new tyres fitted less than 2 weeks ago and it happened on the way home from putting a tank full of petrol in it!!! However I have been offered £100 for it as it stands so at least that takes the sting out of the cost of the tyres and I don't have to get it moved.

Now :mm: my sons Fiesta the 100 miles a day to Bristol and back for work. Just goes to show kids have a use lol, actually he was driving it when it happened so was feeling a little guilty. He has not long passed his test and thought I was going to throw him under the next passing car that came along the duel carriage way.

Once again thanks
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

oh the joys of driving a company car :P
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Shocking, it doesnt cost that much to change an engine, the person that bought it for £100 knows that, it'll back on the road in a week and sold for £700...