Oh The Joy Of Bt

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

Been having a bit of a problem trying to get a telephone line installed in my new home :(

Sure you couldn't make something like this up to easily :lol: so my complaint letter so far (you know me I like a bit of a typing slog :P ):

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Larry Stone
BT Group plc,
BT Centre,
81 Newgate Street,
London
EC1A 7AJ

12 October 2007

Dear Mr Stone,

Re: Order Reference: VOL011-5463406689

I would initially like to commend the service I have received from Ms Becky Morgan, BT Consumer Sales Manager. Ms Morgan has been one of the few employees within your organisation that has been true to their word and delivered a professional and helpful service.

My Initial problems started back on Sunday 30 September. Having dialled your reconnections service number (0808 100 7722) and after spending approximately an hour and a half on the telephone the lady who finally picked up our call, took our details, declared that we were through to the wrong department and hung up.

At 15:15 Monday 1 October, I proceeded to try calling your reconnection number again, this time from my mobile phone (not freephone). Although the call was answered in a reasonable time, the person who answered after a couple of searches, declared that we did not have a line installed and that an engineer would be needed at a cost of £124.99. I stated at least three times that I had a ring tone on the line and that there must be some record of the line, but was advised that I still needed an engineer.

Having agreed to this and running through the registration process I booked an engineer to arrive on the 9 October.

I later found out that I had in fact been wrongly advised about the need for an engineer and proceeded to call the reconnections number again (16:30, Monday 1 October). I spoke to a lady by the name of Janet, who advised that if I dial 17070 that it would confirm the telephone number on the line and from this she was able to discover that the line was held at a different address (The address of my landlord and owner of the estate). Janet then proceeded to try to cancel the initial order with no success and advised that the initial order was incorrect but since the order was placed so soon before that she was unable to cancel and I would have to call back the next day.

Upon calling back on the reconnections number on Tuesday 2 October, I spoke to another representative of your company who ran through the initial debacle and then started to set right the problem by looking at the line with the telephone number noted. I was then told that unfortunately the line had been disconnected at 18:02 on Monday 1 October and I would now have to pay for an engineer and that I had no choice about having an engineer to my property. At this point I was not willing to pay the £124.99 connection charge as in view of my previous telephone call, as noted under the above reference number, I had made attempts to cancel the initial mistake by your company and rectify this by requesting a line takeover instead of the line provide. The representative proposed that I speak with his manager as he did not feel he could resolve my issue.

I was passed to Ms Morgan, who was most concerned that I had been wrongly informed that an order could not be cancelled the previous afternoon and that the previous call had ended in my having been told that I needed an engineer at the initial stage. Ms Morgan made it clear that I would now require an engineer as the line had been fully disconnected and there was a charge for this. In light of the problems I had already experienced, Ms Morgan advised that she would email the customer service department and make sure that the connection charge of £124.99 was removed from my future bill. And that as I already had a booking for an engineer to arrive on morning of 9 October, we could use this appointment. This was confirmed by herself in an email on Wednesday 3 October.

Having waited in all day on the 9 October for the engineer to arrive, I finally tried to called the number provided by a member of Ms Morgan’s department but unfortunately I again was kept on hold for over an hour. I called again on the 10 October and spoke with a gentleman who advised that I would receive a call from the Delayed team.

I received a call from a Mr Conor McCarney, who informed me that the next engineer date was 22 October. I explained the situation to Mr McCarney and asked to speak with one of his managers. None were available and I was told that my number would be passed on. To date I have still not received a call from a manager from the Delayed Team.

An email to Ms Morgan again yielded a positive response and a telephone call from a representative confirming that the 22 October was the first available time and I have since had another response from Ms Morgan relating to my concerns about the engineer keeping the appointment and the financial loss for the extra days holiday and the inordinate amount of telephone time I have had to spend in trying to reconnect my telephone line (what should in fact take approximately 48 hours).

A further call was then received Saturday 13 October from a BT representative that I believe worked in the Delayed Provision Team who advised that they would try to find an earlier appointment slot but could not promise. I asked that I be informed before anyone was sent so I could make sure that there was someone available and was assured that I would be called.

On Monday 16 October I returned home to find an Openreach “Our engineer called today on behalf of your communications provider but was unable to gain access or contact youâ€
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Sounds good to me, you going to bother waiting for the generic macro responce and posting it here?
Thane
Advanced Member

Post by Thane »

BT sucks.
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Should probably get a nice brush off :lol:

If it doesn't get anything but a standard letter, I'll be posting it to his home address ;) That being the Company Secretary of BT Group plc :P
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

You forgot to call him a prick :)
Thane
Advanced Member

Post by Thane »

Hippy wrote: You forgot to call him a prick :)
But pricks have a use!
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Thane wrote: But pricks have a use!

Dont say things like that, you'll make him feel useful...
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

It's also only really the first half of my letter :lol: As I still don't have a telephone and I also now don't have an appointment for some openreach monkey to come and install the line :(

the **** is just where I have currently got to in the saga :P

Will post any updates and responses I receive ;) Was also thinking of sending the whole thing to someone like Watchdog as I see they are already running an article on BT dated 10 October relating to new lines :(
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Don't bother, complaints like that are like water off a ducks arse.

Shout, it's the only way to be heard
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Keep us informed....better than a SOAP anyday! :rolleyes:
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Latest update is that my girlfriend knocked the phone off the shelf yesterday, picked it up and put it to her ear and low and behold we have ring tone :wacko:

Nice of BT to have told us and obviously no need for the engineer to gain access after all the fuss they've been making.

Letter will go off tomorrow
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Anthrax and small time amateur explosives are the only tools required in this hate campaign. Let the games begin!
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Right a couple of updates to this thread :)

I received a very polite response to my letter from the PA to the CEO & Chairman of BT Group appologising for my problems and the same afternoon a call from a customer complaints chap. He has sorted out most of my problems so far and I have his direct telephone number in a London office ;)

He has so far sent me a Hamper of food and wine which has gone down very nicely and organise to take control of my bill as soon as it is raised some time at the end of the month.

But today we seemed to have had some power cuts in the area so I had to turn the power off to the phone and router as it had got totally confused. We now have terrible snow/crackle on the telephone line and it's more or less unusable through the test socket :( looks like I'll have to phone him up again and see what comes of it.

I'm supposedly going to be getting some financial recompense on my bill aswell so will let you know what comes of that.
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

It costs some folks nowt to live :P

Good Luck Mayo ;)
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

Myocardial Infarction wrote: Right a couple of updates to this thread :)

He has so far sent me a Hamper of food and wine which has gone down very nicely and organise to take control of my bill as soon as it is raised some time at the end of the month.
So that's where all the Fairpack hampers went.