Screwy - St3s Any Good?

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Off to a Ducati dealer Tomorrow (Ok he is also a Kawasaki dealer) and wondered about the ST3s. Heard any good/bad things?
Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

Heard nothing bad at all Clingy apart from the fact that the suspension needs adjusting for British roads as they come set up for the American market by all accounts and tend to be set up on the soft side . That said , the suspension on the ST3s is fully adjustable but the magazine test riders where peeved they had to do it themselves :rolleyes:
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Ta m8.....I'm sure my Butler will adjust my suspension ;)
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

That sounds like a great bike Clingy, I looked at <a href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/mai ... fduc01.xml" target="_blank">this</a> review of it in the Telegraph and the fella loves it. It sounds cheap for what you get but I guess I dont follow bikes like I used to.
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

Nellyboy wrote: That sounds like a great bike Clingy, I looked at <a href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/mai ... fduc01.xml" target="_blank">this</a> review of it in the Telegraph and the fella loves it. It sounds cheap for what you get but I guess I dont follow bikes like I used to.

It's Italian Nelly :)
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Interesting, although the article is 4 years old. They have stopped making them now which wont help values. Others have also got their act together and I am told the Triumph Sprint ST is a good option now.

Still very unsure. went out on a 1250 bandit today. Lovely bike but position is too sporty for me.
Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

Clingy wrote: Still very unsure. went out on a 1250 bandit today. Lovely bike but position is too sporty for me.

:blink:
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

Screwy wrote: :blink:

:eek: Give over Clingy... You're serious aren't you ???

I thought the bandit was pretty upright ? Maybe a trip out on a GSX-R (pretty much any of them) just prior to having a test ride on somethinglike a bandit ? You'll notice the difference then ....

.... and there's no way you're telling me that 'that belly' gets you low down on the tank bud ;)

Have we done BMW's yet ? A mate in Strasbourg has them... He used to race Ducatis (until he ran out of parts to replace those that fell off) He's had a new BMW each year or at least every other yr for the past 6 yrs or so. His m8 works for BMW and can sell 'his' bike only after he's owned it for 6months...hence a cheap BMW.
Nice bikes... ugly as hell but handle damned well AND about as comfy as you're going to get.. He regularly drops into the UK (days ride one way = 700miles)

Keep trying them bud... you'll find something you fancy and which suits soon
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Hold on guys.....I said it was too sporty for ME ;). The 1250 bandit has it's pegs quite along way back and tilting well down. Not good for two up and, as I found out, rather difficult when you are wearing an Arai Tour :o .

It looks like position of pegs or boards is one of the most crucial decisions. Next of the list to test is

1) Victory Hammer S - Sat on one today at a local bike show. If feels wonderful and a lot lighter than actual weight.

2) Triumph Sprint ST - One m8 has one and another m8 is getting one. I am told that the new ones have been given rave reviews.

3) DL1000 V Storm - Doubt I'll like the bolt upright style and I'll need convincing it's OK two up. Comes fully kitted with panniers and top box.

Then I'll have to hunt down a dealer than can give me a demo on a Yamaha X1900A Midnight Star and a Kawasaki VN2000. Looks like I'm fighting a losing battle trying to find a demo for the GTR1400. Just too new. Dealer says last chap that had one got 172mph out of it :unsure: . I guess he though he was doing a good selling job telling me that :rolleyes: .

Still unsure about a Harley and I wouldnt have a BMW (sound and look awful).
Last edited by Clingy on Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

All this bike talk makes me jealous! Clingy you sound worse than me choosing a new car, our lass went mad with me constantly flitting between ideas, I mulled over every saloon on the market but its worth it in the end when you finally get what you want and not what you thought you wanted in the first place :)

Roll on the new year and i'll be back on here to say the SV sucks and I want ideas for something else, its not fact yet, but sods law where i'm concerned :D
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

Clingy... seriously now... my mate is 6'4" .. and solidly build... he used to ride a VFR750... with homemade pegs ( one of our other mates runs his own engineering business...so all the gears there to use) Anyway.. to cut a long story short.. the tall guy had a go on mine.. loved the engine but the pegs were just killing him... so he made up a couple of brackets to lower the pegs.. and up until this year has ridden the same bike for 2yrs.. If you like the bike.. think out of the box .. there may be a way to address your dislikes .. IF it's an engineering issue.. hope this helps... and am sure my mate would knock you up a set of pegs to accommodate your comfort (serious)
good hunting bud
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Aye Andrew, in a the work place I am led to believe I am a good decision maker. I constantly criticise others who, because they fear making a wrong decision end up never coming to one. Funny how the tables are turned when it comes to my money ;).

I hear what you say Turt and a some of the suppliers will make adjustments. The Victory can move a couple of inches on the position of the pegs. However I would think that most bikes will feel good to me at the moment. Not having had a road bike for a dozen years makes me easily pleased. I have decided to keep testing and buy in December when I could probably get a good deal.

Thinking about pegs position - years ago you either had cruisers with pegs forward and handle bars back or race/sports bike with "rear sets" and "clipons". All fairly natural. However in recent times the waters have become muddied with muscle bikes and in an attempt to create a semi-sports bike. The extreme clamshell position of the M1800R was downright stupid IMHO, which explains why nearly everyone puts on 2" bar risers. Now the bandit had raised bars, but with pegs back and pointing down, even though not excessively so, it pushed you into an uncomfortable position. I think that now I know this is important to me, I will make sure I sit on any bike before test riding :rolleyes: .
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

I had a sit on a ZZR 1100 the other night, the bike is huge, was at least 300kg i reckon, but it felt so comfy and easy to ride, i was offered a go around the carpark, but turned it down for fear of dropping it.

If i was in the market for a big engined tourer, i'd consider it, much friendlier riding position for short arses like me, the CBR400 i had a sit on and the KTM superduke were massive in comparison.

What about the superduke actually?
It's a bit marmite though

Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

ZZR1100 gorgeous looking bike, although I didn't think they looked up to two-up long distance with luggage. Think If I as after a fun bike I'd seriously consider it.
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

What about the superduke?
The more i look at it, the more i want one.