Give Me Some Bike Ideas

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Next may, i will be looking at passing my das test and buying a bigger bike.

I've got my eyes on a naked Suzuki sv 650, but also want to start looking for some similar bikes.

I don't really like race reps, i much prefer the naked bike look, things like bandits, cb400f's etc.
I don't want anything too big, 60 odd bhp is fine and i don't want anything over a couple of grand second hand and not more than a few years old.

Like i say, the sv650 fits this bracket perfectly, just wondering what else you lot might recommend :)
I've looked at all the fzr's, cbf's, bandits, gsr's. . . . . i'd like to see something a little different.
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Supermoto?

TBH I can't think of anything better than an SV with your budget and experience.
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

Agree with Clingy... SV is a cracking biuke that falls bang on with your requirements Hipps
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

I was gonna say fazer when I read the first few lines, looks like you've already got that angle covered :)
Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

Ducati Monster , Why ride a pretend one get the real thing , gawaan you know you want to [attachmentid=141]
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

2 things to consider here Hipps...

1 is Japanese reliability..

The other is....

Italian reliability !!!!

No brainer bud.. SV for the win.... Sorry Screwy, I know you're a huge lover of the Ducati... but you're also pretty handy with the spanners.. Hippy... well lets just say Hipps aint :)

Better to be riding Hipps than repairing !
Shadow Jax
Advanced Member

Post by Shadow Jax »

2 things to consider here Hipps...

1 is Japanese reliability..

The other is....

Italian reliability !!!!

I tend to agree with Turts. When I used to rided bikes I moved from a Norton Commando to a Hondo 650 twin. I was amazed at the bike it never broke down, where as the Norton well that was another story. I had the Honda for 2 years. All I had to do was change the tires, check the oil and put petrol in it. I also knew it would start every morning summer or winter.
I DON'T SLEEP, I WAIT
Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

Bunch of bloody philistines tbh :P

I ran a Ducati Darmah 860 for 10 years , now that thing was unreliable and most winters where spent rebuilding the engine :rolleyes: But I loved it , every ride out was a learning experience and the bike just oozed character :th: I've now had the 851 for 3 odd years and apart from failing to start once due to worn starter motor bushes and blowing the odd coolant hose off due to a naff pipe fitting used to mate the later 888 engine it's been fine even did 3,000 miles round France with no bother . I would never claim Ducati's are ultra reliable but they are nothing like the bikes Ducati made 20+ years a go.
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

My bro has had a Ducati ST4 from new for hoooge years (probably 7). He's never had a problem with it after the first two weeks. It's now worth around £2500 and he absolutely loves it. He has loads of spare dosh and is itching to buy something new, but TBH it's pointless because it'll never be the same as his "baby". That and the fact that getting a faultless Duke two times running is stretching things a tad :lol: .

When it comes to a bike and you are using it mainly for pleasure then "reliability" is not important IMHO. Far more important to have something that stirs the soul, that you enjoy riding and that you while away the hours at work just waiting to get home and ride her, polish her or just make lo...mmmmm...perhaps that going too far, but you get the drift...ahem!

So sorry to hijack your thread Hippy, but will the bike be for FUN or for practical purposes?
Last edited by Clingy on Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Well as i posted and recommended the monster to Andrew in his thread, it'd be rude not to consider it.

My friend who was selling hers before has now crashed that one, so i dont want it :D but it's definitely high up on my wish list, trouble is, i think it's just a bit too lairy, it's maybe something i'd consider with a good deal more experience, but then again, with more experience, i'd be looking at the Triumph street triple, love that bike but with over 100hp, it's just too much.

And sod off turts :) i'm a decent spanner monkey i'll have you know.

Bike will be for commuting mainly, in fact, it will be for everything, I've sorned my spit because I'm not using it, it will be taxed next may though.

I'm not adverse to getting a cheap 125/250 (or even keeping mine) for the commute and then getting something better for the weekends, but that's a bit greedy, maybe something i'd consider if the government bring in the pay as you drive scheme, i think it could actually benefit people like me who want to have more than one vehicle.

This is the style SV i'll be looking at, £5k ish brand new

Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Actually, just seen a deal on a brand new, ex demo FZ6, £3999. Quite like that actually

<a href="http://www.bowersmotorcycles.co.uk/newb ... php?ID=158" target="_blank">http://www.bowersmotorcycles.co.uk/newb ... ?ID=158</a>
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

commute ? Hipps.. am not sure what kind of hygiene regime you're intending.. but if you're wanting a commuter, have you considered owt with fairing ? Anything nekid will be a biatch to maintain thru the winter bud
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Don't fall off
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Well i'll clean it when it's dirty.

The thing with faired bikes is they look fast. . . .now that doesn't make any difference to me, but her indoors is easily worried, she doesn't know the difference between a faired bike and a naked bike, all she knows is faired bikes look quick, therefor i'm going to die sooner.

For example, while looking for 125's, i saw a nice looking CBR125, when i said i liked it, she nearly had a breakdown!
When i showed her the marauder, she was happy as larry.
In terms of speed, the marauder isn't much slower, it's bigger and heavier and harder to manouver, i'm probably more likely to have an accident on this than i would be on a cbr.

The mentality of a woman. Anyway, i prefer the look of naked bikes. I'm not a fast rider. And i will have my car as a backup if the weather is totally pants.
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

fazer with fairing then !! Oh and WHEN did you buy a car and get rid of the hairdressing thingy ??:P