Bike Opinions

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Hey All,

Yet another thread from me, hopefully one a lot of people can chip in on though :)

Basically i'm looking to change my bike soon and so want suggestions on what to get, my only criteria is its got to be insurable to a 21 y/o with 0 NCB and probably the most important bit be small person friendly :P
I'm considering anything at the moment but 600cc or below is better, and something less than ten year old and sub £2500.
For comparison ive had a sit on a friends yamaha fazer and to be honest its too bloody big, i'd struggle with it at the lights and petrol station, I dare say I 'could' ride it but it'd just be annoying. Therefore I need something short legged people can handle ;)

I'll consider any class of bike other than armchairs, its just a stop gap bike for a bit till ive got some NCB and more experience of a quicker pace behind me. Sports and something with pedigree is prefered though, although riding the RS with your chin on the tank and wrists hurting for a few hours isn't the most pleasent after experience ;)

Any input appreciated, thanks :)
Last edited by andrew on Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

Mini Moto?

should be able to reach the ground on that :)

[attachmentid=119]
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Cheeky so and so :P
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Anther bike? you're doing your test i take it?
How much money are you spanking on this? lol!

Anyway, The Suzuki SV650 is a favourite beginner bike, one i will probably get next year. A fairly decent one can be had for under £2k.

Failing that, the older Honda VFR 400's can be had for very little and are very small and quick bikes.

Don't limit yourself to under 600, a high revving 400 sports bike will be much quicker than something like the sv650 with a V-twin. A much more civilised ride :)

Similar sorts of things to the SV could be the Hornets, FZR's and Bandits, although a bandit may be very expensive to insure.
Then of course you've got the CBR's, a 400 will be plenty quick enough and easily get a fairly new one for £2k, avoid the 400rr, although quick, insurance will cripple you.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Aye theory and test as soon as I can fit it in around work. Might end up been as early as a month or at worst case late february :(

The SV did occur to me, and i've heard it quoted elsewhere as a good beginers bike. I also meant anything upto 600 would be fine (so that includes 400 and 250s). Ideally i'd love an RS250 but my head says it'd be as reliable as my current RS and the power delivery would annoy me and they've all had a very hard life.
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

That looks like a real bargain for the cash :)
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Yep, don't like the rear hugger though, but you can't beat that!
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Full power models with 70bhp, been a v twin i'm guessing it'll feel pretty grunty too with some torque at low revs, or am I wrong ?

Also Seat Height: 805 mm (31.7in), the RS is quoted with this hight of 805mm, and I can manage that with 1 foot ;) Oh btw i've took some pics of the smoke monster. I'll upload them later if I can be bothered :P
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Cool.

Yeah, the SV is generally considered a good bike for both sexes, short men included ;)

70bhp is plenty for any bike, but being a twin as you say, the power will be lower down than an il2 or a single.
Not necessarily more power than the equivelant il2, 70bhp is 70bhp.
It will feel different though.

Best thing is to go and test ride one.

I found the CBR 400 a bit big for me at 5' 10" but the VFR was perfect. Not tried an SV yet.

My Marauder has a seat height of 24", Low and slow baby! yeah!.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Another on my potential list is the yamaha diversion (XJ600), my m8 next door has one and ive just been and had a sit on it and its lower than the RS! He got his cheap as chips (£600 off ebay), and its in great nick having covered 35K, hes a similar age and hes paying £190 insurance which would be more than acceptable for me! (he passed a couple of weeks ago). Gonna have a ride of it when I get a chance to see what I think of it.

Dammit, wish i'd put in for my test sooner :( I really do hope im not going to have to wait till february :(
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Most test centers around here do special deals in the winter.
They even did a 2 for 1 deal last year! £250 is much more appealing than £500.

Pretty ropey looking bike the xj600, what about the Ducati Monster 620? Get one easily for under £2k. A friend of mine has one, she's about 4ft nothing!
Last edited by Hippy on Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Red sky at night ? ya ducatis on fire :P o/j

Aye my m8 said why not try and get in between xmas and new year as the place will be like a ghost town with people wanting to get their license. TBH this is probably what I will have to do what with work consuming all my time at the moment and back away permanently soon.

What is a good thing though is I won't rush this decision on a bike, i'll get the best one I can find between now and whenever so im under no rush to find one, unlike last time me been impatient and having to travel far etc.

Thanks for the help Hippy :)
Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

Ducati M600 Monster ? [attachmentid=120]
0lderama
Advanced Member

Post by 0lderama »

Screwy wrote: Ducati M600 Monster ? [attachmentid=120]

whats that coming over the hill is it a