Muhahahahah

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

Hippy wrote:
Not checked the oil pump, but there's plenty of oil getting to the carb.
You can have to much though which could be fouling the plug and screwing up the mixture , If memory serves me it's pretty easy to check , Just a case of lining up two marks on the pump .
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Plug is definitely not getting oil fouled, it's a bit black with soot, but not really anything major.
I'll look on sunday
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

Well,,, come on then Hipster... any more info ?

What bike is it please bud ? You mentioned £11 for gaskets etc, did you fit them ? NOoo am not taking the pee :) just asking the question whether the bike has new gaskets now ? The loss of power when putting load on.. Screwys covered all the usual start points.. Talking of which .. ' points' you have a 2 wheeled vehicle with points ?? Damned heathen tbh !
Am intrigued as to the root cause bud... let me know eh..
..meanwhile.. are you still running around in the hairdressers thingy ?
;)
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

That was the reason for him trying to get a more reliable and less costly bike turts ;)

:lol:
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Hello turts! been a long time bud!

Yeah, car is being driven daily and in desperate need of a new clutch!

I spent most of sunday going over stuff, didn't really get anywhere.

It's got brand new top end gaskets, compression seems ok.

Bike is a Suzuki gp125, it's got contact breaker points, 3 different coils (high speed, low speed and a standard coil pack outside of the crankcase), it has CDI, or a suzuki varient called CCI, basically just a big capacitor to deliver a bigger spark.

I took the carb apart, cleaned it, checked fuel was getting to it, which it is, checked and reset the choke, now it's definitely not sticking but the problem remains.
Sounds like it's missfiring, but the spark is good, sounds similar to running rich but mixture is good (fuel to air), The only things left to check are the coils, timing and the oil pump.

I can't check the timing without a strobe, a dial guage and a special tool to remove part of the crankcase, i gave up on the oil pump (although this is looking rather suspect at the moment) because i couldn't get the cover plate off it, a well rounded screw in the worst position didn't help. This is currently soaking in wd40, i'll have another go later.

The coil pack is located under the fuel tank, to get to it the seat and tank needed to come off and i ran out of time.

So there we go

Oil pump
timing
coil/condensor

It's one of them, i'm telling ya!

It's booked into a garage on monday and i've got my eye on another bike on ebay, had enough of this feckin' thing.
Will spend a little while longer trying to check the oil pump, but if that isn't the problem, i'm sending it in.

May try running the bike with no oil in the tank, and just mix it in with the petrol instead, that way i can elliminate the oil pump if i cant get the cover plate off.
Seems to be smoking a lot at the moment too which would indicate too much oil going in, but it could just be the amount of oil i put into the bore and around the rings.
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

looking at this on egay, if only the seller would respond to me, i want to go round and see it.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... =1&rd=1</a>

Opinions?
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

Looks nice

But then I know absolutely nothing about bikes anyway :P
Turts
GSV Regular

Post by Turts »

Hipps... we need to talk bud.... you're not serious about buying that off ebay are you ? you'd be better off with an electric wheelchair bud :)
Bronco
Advanced Member

Post by Bronco »

Turts wrote: you'd be better off with an electric wheelchair bud :)
Yer just like Screwy's, gonna look cool when he get's those exhaust pipes on :bk:
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

I need something to tide me over, something that'll hold it's value, doesn't look like crap and wont break down.
Looking at a real marauder tomorrow night.
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Problem solved :D

:bk: :gsv:
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Hippy, I was thinking of getting one of those for the boy. They can be had for £1000 brand new. I was quite keen on that but the boy said no! Then I saw one down Plymouth and it was just b****y awful. I think the engine is OK, probably old 90's Jap technology, but the frame and finish was just terrrible. Much better off with a 5 years old "proper" bike.

A Marauder is the way we are going and even a tatty one should be better than a Jinlun.
Last edited by Clingy on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

What about this one then?
Going to see it thursday.
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... =1&rd=1</a>
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Much better idea m8, but I am not an ebay man, so I'll happily pay extra for an advertised one. As I said that will be better than the JL. Value seems Ok. I'm looking to spend around £1250 for a 2/3 year old one, but looks like I may have to pay more.
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Yeah, i wont bid on it through ebay, will offer him cash when i go to see it if i like it.
Although i'm now having second thoughts about just keeping my old gp125, want to hear what the garage say about it, but on the other hand, i never want to see it again.