Great Day Out

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

Went up to Hawick in the Scottish borders yesterday , Great weather , great roads and not much traffic about , though that could be because I stuck to B roads and minor A roads until I hit the A68 :bk: Ended up doing nearly 500 miles all told and I felt every one of them when I crawled out of bed this morning :D My 851 might be 18 years old but it ran like a Swiss watch . Oh and note the chicken strips on the rear tyre ;)

[attachmentid=97]
Last edited by Screwy on Mon May 21, 2007 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Class--
GSV Regular

Post by Class-- »

nice m8 im well jealous :)
mind u i absolutely hate the a68 but ive only driven it in an underpowered car :(

Class :wub:
Nellyboy
GSV Spammer

Post by Nellyboy »

Sounds like you had a great time Screwy. Bike looks good mate. I miss mine in the good weather.

Nelly
Jase
GSV Regular

Post by Jase »

I'm very jealous as I've not had a chance yet to get out for a blast for months :( This damn gardening is going to end my motorcycling social life :(
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

500 miles in that saddle?

no wonder you're feeling it...

:D
Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

Dangerous Bob wrote: 500 miles in that saddle?

no wonder you're feeling it...

:D
Hehe does look uncomfortable doesn't it but it's actually not to bad . The main problem I had was down to a change in riding style , I was gripping the tank hard with my knees under breaking instead of taking the weight transfer on my wrists , as I have a tendency to lock the elbows which makes counter steering a tad exciting at times :rolleyes: worked a treat it's just naked fear that limits lean angles now and not one arm fighting to overcome the inertia of the other one.
the downside is my hamstrings and groin ached like hell the next day :eek:
Class-- wrote: nice m8 im well jealous :)
mind u i absolutely hate the a68 but ive only driven it in an underpowered car :(

Class :wub:
A7 for the win mate Hawick->Carlisle :bk:
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->note the chicken strips<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

:unsure:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Jase
GSV Regular

Post by Jase »

Chicken strips is a biker term that refers to the unworn strip on either edge of the tyre. The larger the strip means that the rider is afraid or unable to lean the bike into corners to make any marks on the very edge.

Screwy is trying to point out that he has very little in the way of chicken strips on either side of his tyre and therefore riding by the seat of his pants and wearing the tyre almost to the edge!

However he probably took an electric sander to the tyre just before he went out as we all know old men can't ride bikes properly ;)
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Most new tyres have little 'hairy' bits across the surface.
cant remember what we used to call them.... wimp pubes or summat.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Ahhh... I see... ty... :th:

So, before you get on the back of anyones bike... check for chicken strips, the bigger the better... :ph34r:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

Claw wrote: Ahhh... I see... ty... :th:

So, before you get on the back of anyones bike... check for chicken strips, the bigger the better... :ph34r:
Nah you check the rear tyre for bobbling (Little balls of rubber ) those are the people you don't get on the back of :D