Fao: Bikers!

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Just a quick note to say I did my CBT today, did it on a 125 shenda............ how it passed an mot is beyond me :o .
Was a doddle to pick it all up, mostly helped by the car driving history i'd say because all I had to learn was a bit of balance slow speed stuff, indicators dont self cancel ;) blah blah etc
so now im in the need for speed ;) next weekend i'm going rs125 hunting :)
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Nice one Andrew!

I went to see the Hyosung yesterday, turns out it was a scooter, the guy had the wrong info in the add.
I wasn't best pleased!
Drove 40 miles for it too!

Going to see the suzuki 2 stroke tonight!
Will have a bike this week!

Check here for some good deals andrew

<a href="http://www.ukbike.com" target="_blank">www.ukbike.com</a>
Jase
GSV Regular

Post by Jase »

Many congrats Andrew :2t: :2t:

Guys dont be in a rush to get a bike and end up with the wrong one, there are bucket loads of 125's about and the right one will be there somewhere. 2 stroke bikes have usually had the nipples raked out of them and require quite a bit more maintenance than the 4 stroke. The Chinese ones are well worth a look for the price and will serve you well.

On a side note I got my Lid today, found one that fitted a treat

:bk: :bk:
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Nice, but it's not as cool as mine

Dont have to mess around changing the visor if i go out in the dark, just flip the smoked visor up :)
Like the bullit holes on yours jase!

I'm off to see this 2 stroke suzuki tonight :) for £450, i'm not expecting it to be in fantastic nick! as long as it gets me around.

Ideas for insurance companies?
Last edited by Hippy on Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jase
GSV Regular

Post by Jase »

I tried the Cabergs but it sat way too high on my head and most of my chin was out of the helmet, and it was the dual visor that I wanted. This was the only make of helmet that would sit properly on my head and the design was just a bonus that it matches the textiles :2t:

As for Insurance have a look <a href="http://www.dcbikers.co.uk/11.html" target="_blank">here.</a> There is a list of insurance companies and it is well worth looking around and getting as many quotes as you can. A lot of them also do RAC cover for bikes around the £50 mark which is well worth getting if your going to be getting an old bike and using for work!
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Just tried a quote with Bennets, £84 TPF&T, £138 Fully comp :)

That's more like it.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

I'm getting some interesting quotes for an rs125. quite a lot of variation tbh. bah! balls to it i'll pay it, should be worth it :D

@Jase, i'm not expecting anything reliable m8 and i'm not riding it hard enough unless I blow it up, according to a biker friend lol
Just can't wait to get something and get out there on it now :)
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

How much are you're quotes? On what bike?

I dont see the point in getting a decent bike at the moment, just want something i dont mind dropping.
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Well i've agreed to buy the suzuki :)

it was in fair condition, lots of surface rust, no wing mirrors, other than that, the engine, wheels, etc were all great.

Driving it home the 30 miles tomorrow night :)
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Aprilia RS125's quotes around £350 for limited mileage, brick garage and no security on the bike itself.

Gonna do some more quotes now !

norwich union gave an absolute comedy quote near enough £1500 !
mcmav
GSV Regular

Post by mcmav »

andrew wrote: Aprilia RS125's quotes around £350 for limited mileage, brick garage and no security on the bike itself.

Gonna do some more quotes now !

norwich union gave an absolute comedy quote near enough £1500 !
So they didnt quote you happy?
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

You might find Norwich's quote covers a helluva lot such as business use (couriering) etc
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Things i've learned in day 1 of biking:

1) 2 stroke engines flood
2) The engine cut off switch is not the light switch
3) 6v powered lights are rubbish
4) you need wing mirrors
5) Riding at night is freezing!
6) A 30 mile journey at night, on your own on for your first time after only 1 day of riding is too much of a challenge!
7) Biking is fantastic fun!

Bennets seem to have screwed me over a bit with their quote, i was quoted £84 TPFT, i didn't have the reg number of the bike, so i thought i'd keep the quote and just call up when i got there and finish the quote.

When i called up and re-read my number to them, the quote had gone up to £150, nearly double.
I fannied around for a while on the guys internet, but couldn't get the same quote again, didn't have time to shop around, so had to go for the £150 one, not happy.
I still have the original emailed quote though, so will be making a few nasty calls today.

Oh well. Still, got me bike, i'm happy!
Time to start riding! :)

edit: NU's quote for me was well over £700 fully comp.
Didn't quote me happy either.

Come to think of it, their quote for my spitfire was £1500 last year, considering i pay £120, that didn't quote me happy either.
Jase
GSV Regular

Post by Jase »

Hippy wrote:
7) Biking is fantastic fun!

It certainly is :bk: :bk: and I'm realy glad your liking it so far!

Once you have some more experience under your belt and get a bigger bike it takes on a whole new meaning as well. Commuting is one thing but riding for fun is something different when you can choose what roads to go on :D

I'm just planning a trip to see my brother on the bike, trying to find an A road route and not spend a single mile on the motorway :hb: :hb: Might need to get a GPS for the bike at the end of the month!
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

If you're ever up east angular way, pop in, we'll go for a jolly over to clingy's or something :)