Fao: Bikers!

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

Jase
GSV Regular

Post by Jase »

Hippy wrote: If you're ever up east angular way, pop in, we'll go for a jolly over to clingy's or something :)

Careful I remember saying that to someone on the net and now he pops in at least twice a year :unsure:

I might well take you up on that if I'm passing :th:
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

all my reasonable quotes are basically £400 (or just below). Can't complain I guess as to my knowledge the RS125 is the fastest bike on CBT/provisional, so I guess I do constitute a risk ;) Roll on the weekend, can't wait !
Legthigh
GSV Regular

Post by Legthigh »

Here's one for all you Bikers, As you probably know I know nothing about bikes at all, but i've always loved the look of Royal Enfield Bikes, are they any good?
Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

I'm assuming you mean the modern Indian Enfields ? Great bikes if you like retro , Hired a 500 bullet in Goa one year for two weeks , Was great fun and if I was looking for a winter bike it would be first on my list :bk:
Legthigh
GSV Regular

Post by Legthigh »

Screwy wrote: I'm assuming you mean the modern Indian Enfields ? Great bikes if you like retro , Hired a 500 bullet in Goa one year for two weeks , Was great fun and if I was looking for a winter bike it would be first on my list :bk:
Yep the ones made in India Screwy, really love the look of some of them, seriously getting tempted to get into this biking malarky, especially with all this nice weather we're having.
Jase
GSV Regular

Post by Jase »

andrew wrote: all my reasonable quotes are basically £400 (or just below). Can't complain I guess as to my knowledge the RS125 is the fastest bike on CBT/provisional, so I guess I do constitute a risk ;) Roll on the weekend, can't wait !

Indeed it is one of the fastest 125's you can get so your insurance will be sky high! Especially on a CBT licence. It is always worth getting your full licence if your ever thinking of getting a bigger bike as the test is only going to get harder and is a real sod to pass now! That will also bring your insurance down quite a bit!
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Andrew, are you going to stick with the 125 for a few years then? going to do your 33hp test on it or what? It seems like an expensive route to me if you're going to go on to a bigger bike within the next 2 years.

Have you considered getting a cheap 125 like mine until you've passed to try to keep costs down?

Just wanted to know what sort of costs you're incurring, i've managed to get on the road for £700 including CBT, All gear, bike and insurance, i can probably re-coup all the money from my bike when i sell it, even if that's in 2 years time.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Going to do DAS in late/back end of the year when i've got sometime back on site (at home). Being 21, I thought this allowed me to get any power crotch rocket I like ? Or have I misunderstood :s

I've done a few tot ups in my head and I think I should be on the road ALL in for £1800 give or take a £100. I'm not really bothered about the cost tbh m8 as some of it is stuff you keep like gloves, lid, jacket etc and the rest if it all goes sour put down to a bad experience ;) The bike should hold its value pretty well as long as I don't stack it etc. Anyways i've lost thousands on the 4 cars i've had since passing so why should a bike be any different :P I realise what i'm saying is silly, but I have to justify to myself some how ;) Can't put a price on fun. Work to live not live to work or something like that lol
Jase
GSV Regular

Post by Jase »

When it comes to bikes whats money got to do with it ;)

It's about the freedom baby :D
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

£1800?? crikey.

Even if i did my DAS on top, i'd still only be at about £1100.
Mind you, my bike is a complete shed :) but what do i care, it gets me to work.

Did my first commute today. Traffic is scary, got over taken by a scooter, then nearly ran over by a people carrier :)
Felt good though
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

:drib:

Overtaken by a scooter?

One of these?

Or these?

Either is just a embaressing...

:bk:

LOL

Looking for scooters, I found this link

<a href="http://www.gizmowatch.com/entry/awesome ... -at-40mph/" target="_blank">http://www.gizmowatch.com/entry/awesome ... -40mph/</a>

40mph?

Blooming hell. Thing would go faster without the jets and a decent tuneup....
Slatz
GSV Regular

Post by Slatz »

Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

I see you still have ambitions to be the next Tom Cruise Slatz :rolleyes:

;) :D :P
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Yeah, it was a moped type affair, tbh, i dont think the guy lifted off the throttle once, a full 30mph all the way! :)

I'm starting to get used to the bike now, i have counter steer totally sussed. Very odd, i didn't even know i was doing it, but once i tried it, leaning into a corner is a lot easier.

Starting to find the bike a bit underpowered now, would be nice to have a bit more oomph about it, although i have taken it up to 60 once! Pooped myself, then went back to a steady 50.

Popped a wheelie this morning by mistake, i managed to stall while in traffic, by the time i'd started it again, i had a bit of catching up to do, so let the throttle off and dropped the clutch, nearly sh@ myself again when the wheel came right up!
Must have looked like a right nob!
Didnt' fall off though!

Loving the fuel economy of the bike! i've done 140 miles on it so far, used about half a tank of fuel, probably about £3 worth, and about £2 of oil.
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Well, discovered the reason why i'm finding the bike underpowered, it's blown it's head gasket!
Hey, this is just like owning a classic car!
Oh well, at least on the bike it's a £5 20 minute job.