Mob Culture Of "web 2.0"

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Thought this was a very interesting article.

<a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6379621.stm" target="_blank">Digital Mob</a>

Must admit, when I first started accessing the 'net via an emerging ISP called CompuServe, I was extremely excited about the concept behind the pooling of free accessible knowledge and the resources for development.

However, I don't seem to take the 'net so seriously these days, it is harder to identify plausibility when you just Google something - being left to work out for yourself whether the information provided is credible.

What do you use the Internet for?
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

P0rn and other things like gaming

P0rn and other things like gaming. Ah I must admin I only really use the net at work out of boredom. At home I check e-mails downlaod tv shows that I missed while at work and that is about it
Rasputin

ImageImage
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

I spend an helluva lot of time sat at my PC. Is it really that much a part of my life, or am I just addicted to it?.
Well, it is true, there are a couple of games that I spend a lot of time on, namely IL2, AAO & BF2 at this time, though other games do get played as well. But its not just games.
The internet, especially accessed through BB means that there are a whole lot of facilities available.
I can access my bank accounts, pay bills and transfer money easily. Keeping track of statements online, downloading and storing them if I feel the need to, but cutting the amount of paperwork around the house.
I can track shares, find the best rates for insurances and mortgages, even swapping policies and accounts around reasonably easily.

I can buy virtually anything I need online, and it's usually cheaper. Of course I don't get to test goods out, but I can always do a lot of research online to find out what others think of the item before I spend any money anyway.

I keep track of the news & weather, both as a casual observer, and as part of work. Using the internet for news means I can pick what news I read about, rather than trusting some Editor to include the points that he thinks I, as part of the populace, would want to read. And lets face it, how many times is the headline news in the papers no more than overinflated claptrap? OK so the same people write the online news, but I don't have to read it or, more importantly, pay them for the priviledge.
And if I do find a story that interests me, I can research more about it easily, picking up other viewpoints or even conspiracy theories if I like.

Entertainment, whether it's downloading films, music or 'other stuff'.
Picking up hints or researching the latest niggle that plagues a computer in my care.
How about entertaining the kids?, I'd much rather they spent some interactive time online rather than just vegging in front of the goggle box.

And finally theres the community element. Online gaming groups, forums, IRC.
To an outsider this may seem a little strange/ wierd/geeky, but I have as many if not more friends and aquaintances online than I do in real life. But there is a very blurred line between real life and my virtual life. Friends online, once met become friends in real life.
Dakaras
GSV Regular

Post by Dakaras »

^ What he said
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

...hmm gotta agree really... that does kinda sum things up Bob... you've just killed 15 pages of conversation on the matter... :D

Anyone been to the park and looked at a tree lately... just for the pleasure of doing so? :unsure:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...