Brake Discs

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Because I'm not using the bike much, mainly because I keep finding excuses to take the works car home, the ol' brake discs on the bike are getting into a bit of a state when it's left for a week or so.

Is there a treatment out there to either clean them up, or to slow down the rusting?
Preferably one that doesn't have to involve cleaning it off before hopping on to ride it home, such as grease, copperslip or WD40...
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Dangerous Bob wrote: Because I'm not using the bike much, mainly because I keep finding excuses to take the works car home, the ol' brake discs on the bike are getting into a bit of a state when it's left for a week or so.

Is there a treatment out there to either clean them up, or to slow down the rusting?
Preferably one that doesn't have to involve cleaning it off before hopping on to ride it home, such as grease, copperslip or WD40...

I doubt it...I'm sure you are joking about the WD40, arent you? It would clean and protect them a treat, only problem would be stopping!

My only suggestion is to fit stainless steel discs.
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Forget about cleaning the rust off them, with discs its all surface rust and will be rubbed off the first time you brake.

Just make sure your pads are checked regularly as the rust can wear them quicker.

Put any kind of lubricant on them and you'll regret it i think.
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

do not under any circumstances put anything on the braking faces of a disc or pad, unless its brake cleaner! don't worry about the rust its just the composition of the metal used that means they get surface rust quickly.