>On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked. Somebody will
>know where you are at all times. They will also know how fast you have been
>going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit you can expect
>a NIP with your monthly bill.
>
>If you care about our freedoms and stopping the constant bashing of the
car driver, please sign the petition on No 10's new website
>
><a href="http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/" target="_blank">http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/</a>
>
>Please pass this on to anyone who owns a car/motorcycle. If you are in the
>motor industry send this to everyone you know. It affects them !!.
Jase
GSV Regular

Post by Jase »

Something that I am totally against as I motorbike for fun during the summer and clock up about 5,000 miles just on rideouts! This sort of thing would cost me a small fortune not only in tax but also speeding fines!

Why oh why dont the government just add another 1/2% on to income tax and be done with it!! All this stealth tax is beginning to get on my pip...
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

This makes me just as mad, my car is 29 years old, why isn't it tax exempt?

Not going to let any government chump install anything in my car! goddammit!

I wonder if the motorbike tax will be calculated the same way as it is for a car? or will it just be purely mileage based?

How much is motorbike tax now?
My car is £90 a year, as i use it everyday to drive 6 miles to work and 6 back, sounds like i'm going to be paying more than i do in a year in just one month.
Jase
GSV Regular

Post by Jase »

Bike tax is about £40 for a 600cc and £65 above (ish) If I had to pay per mile I do around 6000 miles a year on a bike plus around 8000 in a car and jo racks up a few thousand miles in the summer on her bike as well.
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Hold your horses here.....

If they bring this in, they're intending to dump both fuel tax (about 60p/litre at the mo) and road tax.

I reckon I'll be on a winner, even if they charge me up to about 15p/mile..... Thats for 1200 miles a month in a diesel. At the mo I'm paying about £90 a month in road & fuel tax alone.

Bikes are bound to be charged at a cheaper rate, since the whole idea is to try to relieve congestion, we're bound to get some kind of discount.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions until I've seen all the prices, but if it stops the charge of the Chelsea Tank brigade to the schools in the mornings, I'm not exactly against the idea.

How come you've only just heard about this? It was originally in the news about last June..
Last edited by Dangerous Bob on Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Simple solution.....get an off road bike and take to the fields ;)

We do over 40000 miles a year between us. I hope they are selective about how they charge or this becomes a massive tax on the rural population. It also acts as a restriction on labour movement, a very dangerous and retrospective step in standard of living will follow pretty quickly IMHO.
Dakaras
GSV Regular

Post by Dakaras »

Well I run a 4wd with trailor so if this tax is relative to engine size Im ****ed
Myocardial Infarction
GSV Regular

Post by Myocardial Infarction »

Can't see them ditching road and fuel tax either, good way to double the amount they get out of the motorist.
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The transport secretary said the charges, aimed at cutting congestion, would replace road tax and petrol duty. <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

If they scrap fuel tax when they bring this in i'll eat my own arse, actually, no, i'll eat Jase's arse!
Hammer
GSV Spammer

Post by Hammer »

From what I've heard it's a carbon tax to reduce emissions & congestion. There is no way they would drop road tax and fuel prices. I'ts just another way of taxing us.
I'll strap my box to a tortoise, I'll then get a refund each month :)
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

Dakaras wrote: Well I run a 4wd with trailor so if this tax is relative to engine size Im ****ed

You'll have to start doing your gardening with a Motorbike and sidecar :lol: :lol:
mcmav
GSV Regular

Post by mcmav »

They wont scrap fuel duty they will cut it probs 50% cut but not abolish it.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Agree'd, they wont stop one to do the other, they'll bring it in as well or make another tax to cover up the loss of fuel duty...