Getting Rid of Landline / VOIP options??

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

Jase
GSV Regular

Post by Jase »

I really want to get rid of my landline and start using VOIP (Skype or similar)

Has anyone had any experience of using this sort of thing for incoming calls from landlines and also using as a home phone?? I would ideally want a local landline number so that it won't cost people extra to call me.

I'm not on a BT line as I was unable to receive the 1mb connection all those years ago due to crappy line at the outer limit from the exchange :(
It would seem that Telewest are going to be putting up their charges again when they rebrand to the new Virgin Media group and I've had enough of £80 a month bills for phone, internet and TV and just want the broadband and a freeview box and sub £20 bills.
ryanside
Advanced Member

Post by ryanside »

ive oly had experince with skype so cannot comment on other options really. One thing to watch out for is that, i know with Skype anyway, you cannot dial 999. But i suppose if you've always got ur mobile around its OK
Rasputin
GSV Regular

Post by Rasputin »

I have been using Skype for about a year now, but still hae a landline. Skype is good as long as you hae enough bandwidth. I download alot and this can mess around with the sound. You can set up a local number well local enough. My mate Waxapple uses it with a Edinburgh number and he lives in perth.

Ras
Rasputin

ImageImage
Jase
GSV Regular

Post by Jase »

Has anyone tried Vonage ??? Jut about fits what I'm after and I can use my existing handsets from a box added to my router. Plus I get my local code number.

<a href="http://www.vonage.co.uk/index.php?lid=nav_index" target="_blank">http://www.vonage.co.uk/index.php?lid=nav_index</a>

Also Tesco Internet phone seems to do the same on a pay as you go but I dont know about the landline number yet..

<a href="http://www.tescointernetphone.com/about/" target="_blank">http://www.tescointernetphone.com/about/</a>
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Vonage and other proper VOIP systems require a proper VOIP router, but i'd go with them before skype anyday.

My skype experience is limited, but i can use my wm5 mobile to dial a number through skype using my wireless network at home which is nice, but i've always found it to have a massive delay on it. I'm on an 8meg NTL connection, 512k up.

Also, skype has a tendancy to charge your account when calls end or dont connect unexpectedly.

My mother lost £10 in the first day while trying to set it up correctly, she never connected to a number.

Personally, i wouldn't bother. It only seems to be viable if you do a lot of national calls.
I just got rid of my landline and use my mobile instead.
Jase
GSV Regular

Post by Jase »

Hippy wrote: Vonage and other proper VOIP systems require a proper VOIP router, but i'd go with them before skype anyday.

Vonage actually give you a VOIP router free of charge, it would appear to be £20 set up including first month but reading the small print there is a £30 disconnection fee!!! Tesco also do a router but it's £40 and at present they dont do an all inclusive call package :(
Hippy
GSV Regular

Post by Hippy »

Go with vonage then, get a wireless access point if you need wireless.

Skype works on the same basis that msn messenger voice chat works on, if you can get a good conversation through that then you may be ok, but i'd rather not bother.

With vonage, do they also give you adaptors so you can use your existing DECT phones? much cheaper than their cordless ones.
I like the idea of the phones not being dependent on software running on a pc.

There's some good media center apps for VOIP too, allowing you to make calls, caller id etc on the media center screen, the skype ones arent as good. Doubt tesco would be up to much, it appeals to people like my mother who buy crap then get me to fix it when it doesn't work.