The Rona

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

wraith
Advanced Member

Re: The Rona

Post by wraith »

Lockdown around here was well kept to start with but recently I see a lot more people and cars now. I do wonder about a second wave starting.
My company was quick to adopt home working and emptied the offices sending all 1500 staff home, including our service desk, which was impressive. No impact to service and everyone paid normally so it doesn't get better really.
Carole and I sailed through the last recession as we worked for the Inland Revenue, looks like we will see this one through painlessly too so I am grateful for that.

I do wonder how long before we recover both as a country and as a world. I think it could take quite a while for confidence to return globally, so airlines and travel companies will likely go to the wall around the world. Is that bad, or good, I really don't know. I guess we will see.
How will this affect Brexit, bored with that discussion but I would have thought all possible trade is good now so there must be more pressure there for a deal.
Life as always is interesting and like an NFL game, just a case of making your way through it taking as few hits as possible!
Phil
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Sat on my arse at home, being furloughed is ok in one sense, we've pretty much redecorated the entire house, I'm getting 80% of my wages and doing nothing, well, there's some Dante stuff that I'm going to look at, 3 exams worth, so I'm going to start that shortly.
The downside is the job I've been at for 7 months is doing very little work at the mo, the joys of working in motorsport, we're good to the point they're not paying people as the Govt. are picking up the 80% thing, but if that stops then they'll have to start laying people off, and having not been there long, I'd probably be one of the first to go..

Still, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it, I'm hoping that as soon as events start taking place again that we'll ramp up and I'll be off jet setting again, already missed Germany, France, Italy and should be in South Korea at the mo..
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Vomit wrote:im still working

in a company that pretty much disregards health and safety laws as they see fit.
A lot of machines 50 years old have only just had safety guards fitted, only 2 years ago started obeying noise at work regs
(mostly because i claimed against them)
No job is worth your health... ever... not saying quit, but keep it in perspective. If they want a fight and you're gonna fight, you have to use the H&S reg's like a whackamole bat and document everything.

Just fighting an intransigent management over H&S can cause more problems though, such as stress, potential isolation, and then there's the knock on effect if you bring that home to your family, which can potentially amplify all the above.

All this said, it can't be any easier for management either... why not just do their best to get it right in the first place? :unsure:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Vomit
Advanced Member

Post by Vomit »

all you say is true.

was waiting to see what fallout was going to happen from Brexit, but then along came covid, but was keeping half an eye for a new job.

as it is though i am still on furlough, until the first of august at the moment, so with my length of service and a guaranteed income, i think im best
off doing nothing at the moment.

Their is a new boss though, and asked me to go back to go back to work, with face masks and social distancing, pointed out to him that i would not be able to communicate at 6 feet with noise, hearing protection and face masks. He says im a health and safety issue and now looking into getting me more suitable hearing protection, a glimmer of hope their after all.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

I know a very good H&S consultant if you need to have a word with someone..
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Dangerous Bob wrote:At home I'm playing a bit of Kerbal Space Program, but still have to go to work.
Luckily most people are staying home, however this good weather is tempting the muppets out to the coast, where they meet me.
Bob... surely this is more you these days...

Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

yup,

apart from the last week (storm Alex), we've been as busy as ever even with the kids back to school. All the Magaloof lot coming down the southwest instead.
Eagle
The Eagle Has Landed

Post by Eagle »

I was on furlough from March until the end of August and then was made redundant. :-(

Had been there less than 2 years so no redundancy pay either :(

Didnt like working there anyway :trig:
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Sometimes redundancy is the boot up the arse we need to get out of a job we don't like... Shame yhou don't get a redundancy package out of it though.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

If you didnt like working there then, blessing in disguise eh?
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Sorry to hear that OGF1, hope you finding something soon that pays the bills and keeps you happy matey.