ARK - Survival Evolved

PC & Console gaming
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

ARK - Survival Evolved

Post by Dangerous Bob »

So what have Nelly, Megaz, Kaiser and I been up to.

Decided to make a little video (due to a nice little gfx card upgrade (Cheers Nell)) to show you chaps what we've been up to......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yPsHDeOOn8
ark4.jpg
ark2.jpg
ark3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dangerous Bob on Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Re: ARK - Survival Evolved

Post by Claw »

Good review, thanks Bob! :th:

I was going to say that the Brontosaurus doesn't exist due to a misclassification, but I'm glad I double-checked. The name has been reapplied in very recent times.

Are there different ways of playing? I'm not too good with Ikea type games. Discoverer, hunter/gatherer type games are more within my limited capabilities. In fact, the guy you've called the Butler has already rendered me redundant. :D
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Considering it's a bit of a mix of genres means that it should suffer, but somehow it doesn't.

Building is a bit limited and can be quite frustrating to get things to snap together properly, and you need a bit of imagination to make anything aesthetic, however the building is quite easy and quick to do.
The whole crafting side of it lends itself to belonging to a group, as no one person can learn everything.
However, if you want to go solo, you can, without too much difficulty and with a bit of thought as to what and where you build.

The resource hunting seems to go on forever, but there's other things to fill the time when you want a change.
Taming your first few dinos can take literally hours, but the adrenaline rush you get when done is brilliant and matched by the bitter disappointment when your work gets eaten by the next big dino that you foolishly set him up against....
(Just lost the big eagle thing I was flying in the video, by not checking out an area properly where I was camped out cooking up a bit of meat. I thought I was safe with a high level bird with me.)
But somehow it just makes you want to get back out there and tame a bigger and better one.

The hunting part is well matched, and once you start to be able to take the bigger dinos out easily, you find you're needing them for food for your own bigger dinos.
And there's always something bigger out there.
They've just introduced the ability to hatch eggs and breed your own dinos, being able to breed traits that you require. This again, is going to take hours.
Along side the breeding is the farming element we've had for a while, which helps support the survival element.

We're only playing the PVE part of it at the moment, though there are players out there who are cocknuggets and will try to ruin your game, steal your eggs etc.
However there are a lot of players willing to help you out and chat in the chat box is generally grown up, although petty squabbles do seem to last for pages and not easy to ignore as the chat box os so promient. There's no ignore feature at the moment..... mmmmm email to the Devs maybe?
Playing the PVP version means, like DAYZ, the dinos are the least of your problems and you need a different strategy and use the kit in a different way to survive.
Even so, this doesn't really feel like a traditional FPS or that it would be encouraging a 'Kill on sight' attitude in players.

Like I said in the vid, this is easily the best early access game out there, eminently playable and hugely enjoyable,but with more than a few bugs.
But the Devs are on the ball and seem to be, not just listening to the feedback, but getting improvements out there quick.

There are a lot of other beta/alpha games out there that you're paying as much or more for, but not getting as much now or the vision of the future for the game. (naming no names cough, cough Bohemia).
This ones being updated so much and so quickly it could end up changing what it is. Plus, like many games before, once it gets popular it attracts the hackers and cocknuggets in evermore increasing numbers. However at the moment, the public server we're on seems to be relatively sane.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

When I get home next week, (hopefully) I'll give it a go.

Gsv is a nice place to be. :gsv:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

So I made a few more....

Daughter persuaded me to make a title sequence etc. for the last one as well.
Quite enjoy doing them so might do a few more with her help.