Elite Dangerous

PC & Console gaming
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Elite Dangerous

Post by Dangerous Bob »

£40 may seem a bit steep for a PC game, but if you played on the Beeb or C64 back in the 80's it's well worth it....

DanglyBob in game.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by Trig »

I dont get much time to play these days tbh, might grab it a bit later but then theres always the being new when other guys are flying around having played for ages n kick your arse lol
PLus from what Lowe was saying you cant fly as a squad yet?!
Whats that all about... :trig:
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

You could do, but you've got to find each other first....
Terry
Advanced Member

Post by Terry »

Terrence29 in game, at the moment doing most of my work around Yakabugai till I get a better ship B)
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Looks amazing, but also heavy on the spec's... not that this is a completely bad thing. If I'd have been able to run it on the current spec of my system I think I'd have doubted its quality. Also, a game with this kinda environment and plot simply can't be a bunch of wireframe graphics in this day and age, can it?

So, I'm on my way guys, but at the moment think of me as the guy with the mop and bucket you see in the hallway to the gents in one of those small square-like stations...
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Meh balls to it, I'll grab it at the end of the month if theres any money left, moving bloody house again...
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

I'm in the same system Terry, doing a bit of bounty hunty
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Hoorah, Gained a rank... Mostly Harmless.....

BTW. found this useful Link

http://roguey.co.uk/elite-dangerous/trade-helper/
Terry
Advanced Member

Post by Terry »

Nice, thanks for the link, will be helpful :th: Hope to see you online :gsv:
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

I've had great fun recreating the feeling from the original Beeb game I used to play.
£40 still seems a bit steep for this game, especially as it seems that it not quite finished. They seem to be producing patches and there is the promise of quite a bit of new content waiting to be introduced. It does have a bit of a beta feel to it though.
The graphics are stupendous. Even if you've got only a passing interest in planets, stars and the solar system, you won't ever get bored of hopping from system to system just to look at the different classes of suns and the variety of planets and astronomical bodies that are modelled.

It's not quite the MMMORPG that it could be yet and the ability to fly with a group requires you to do some work to upgrade you FSD and then a bit of luck that you're vaguely in the same system. There's a fair amount of 'grind' involved just to upgrade to your first ship.

If you're worried about being picked on by people with better ships, there's not a lot of chance of that. I've bumped into plenty of other players, but there doesn't seem to be the KOS or dickhead fraternity determined to ruin your game. I expect they'll turn up though.

Even getting killed in the early stages, once you've upgraded is not too much of a hindrance. The insurance or buyback price, just means that you lose your current missions, cargo and bounties. It's fairly easy to keep that sum of money in reserve. This does mean that the will to stay alive is not as great as in DAYZ for instance.
But getting killed is fairly rare unless you go up against Dangerous or Elite bots (not seen any elite players yet) or pick on the Police..

I've had a couple of close calls which got the adrenaline running. Went after a pirate of a moderate level but found out that he was kitted up a little better than I thought, and I couldn't stay out of the way of his guns. Then I accidentally shot the System authority vessel in the ensuing dogfight which meant that 3 of them might have added the odd shot my way and also gave me 'Wanted' status. I jumped to cruise speed with only 15% hull and plotted a course to the nearest station 18000 Ly away.
I then got interdicted by the police again, ( Dangerous level) who put a missile into me before I could jump out again. With the cabin breached I had 5 minutes to get to a station. This system's was out of the question , but I knew of a much closer station 2 systems away. Luckily Hyperspace jumps don't use the timer and I got to the station with no hiccups and made it inside with the timer showing zero and my character sounding like he was about to peg it.....

I'm still concrentating onto pirate hunting as it seems to be the way to buil;d money quickly ion the earlier stages, but I'm planning on making a mining rig and having a go at that as well as getting a cargo vessel, though not quite figured out the trade data system yet.
Terry
Advanced Member

Post by Terry »

I actually enjoy the trading aspect of the game, searching for and finding that sweet high yield trade is great, plus, nothing like hauling a load of rares and having pirates chase you across the universe, that gets the adrenaline pumping :w00t2:
madman045
GSV Regular

Post by madman045 »

I may be tempted to get this, i managed to resist Star Citizen as my EvE friends were spending hundreds on ships

Can anyone recommend a cheap and cheerful joystick/throttle?

Thanks

Andy
<a href="http://bf3stats.com/stats_pc/madman045" target="_blank">Image</a>
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

I'll probably play with my old Cyborg Gold 3d that I've had for ages, if you want a stick to use for a while I have my old X45 doing nothing on a shelf still...
madman045
GSV Regular

Post by madman045 »

Sounds good to me.... So is this playable with a KB/Mouse until i can get a joystick?

I have an old Thrustmaster Hotas-x but its a serial connection so no go with that currently
<a href="http://bf3stats.com/stats_pc/madman045" target="_blank">Image</a>
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

perfectly playable, but keep away from dog fighting if you can....