A bumpy year

2, 3 or 4 wheeled petrol heads in here.

Moderator: Trig

Screwy
Advanced Member

A bumpy year

Post by Screwy »

OK, I'm still riding a bike though I struggled in the first part of this year due to a couple of possible angina attacks on rides at the end of the 2013 season so didn't get back on the bike until April , managed to get my fitness level back up and after a few warm up rides (200km,300km and 400km) I did the Mile Fáilte 1200km and managed to get round in 89 hours :2t:
Unfortunately on the last ride of the season I passed out at the side of the road after 200km :jase: this was due to me not taking my medication as I had a theory that it was affecting my performance , it was but not in the way I thought :whis: so my thoughts now are turning to next years big ride and as it's a Pari-Brest-Paris year (it only runs every four years) I will probably be riding that :-) Hopefully I shouldn't have any problems qualifying plus having completed a 1200km ride this year I get to pre register in April and not have to wait until June and just to spice things up the plan is to get the train to London and then ride across to Paris via Newhaven-Dieppe . :rolleyes:

So prepare to be bored witless as I post up the qualifying rides as I complete them or not :P

Paul
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Re: A bumpy year

Post by Dangerous Bob »

:bk: :hb:
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

There's an old gent near us who used to be involved in races were they would have to complete the course within a certain time frame. But, if they would have raced, or completed the course too quickly they would be penalised. So, from what I could work out they would have to hold to an average speed, or something like that. Is what you're doing something like this?

Would you know if there will be any Webcams along the route?

Look after yer ticker Screwy, the stewards who would come racing to resuscitate you at these events aren't the prettiest...

Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

Sounds like Audax Claw basically theirs a minimum and maximum average speed 14.63 kph and 30.00 kph , and the opening and closing times of the controls are based on these , to fast and you arrive at the control to early and have to wait for it to open, to slow and the control is close and you are classed as DNF (Did Not Finish) .It's 90 hours for Paris-Brest-Paris if I set off in the touristes which I most likely will do as I'm not overly fast in all honesty . Not sure if theirs going to be any web cams on the route, I imagine you tube will be awash with video,s after the event and probably even as it's running and I think their will be some form of tracking based on signing in at controls on the main website so people can get a rough idea of progress.

Paul
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Do keep us posted screwy ! best of luck matey :) . you got a turbo trainer for the winter ?
Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

Turbo trainer and rollers Andrew and have a couple or three Sufferfest videos which have helped to give me a little more speed this year , a 200 last year was taking just over 12 hours , this year my personal best was 10 hours forty minutes :2t:

Paul
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

I bought a new tac-x magnetic type several month ago, after seeing the electronic version a colleague had. Its not got many hours on it. Hope to change that around soon.
Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

Found a video on Vimeo from this years Mile Failte 1200km http://vimeo.com/99334781
Get on that Turbo Andrew and you too can be riding 40 hours straight with no sleep next year :blink:
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

How much does something like that fetch, I should probably get back on my bike at some point...
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

chainreactioncycles and tweekscycles are who ive used for bits and bobs and bikescene.co.uk , thats where i got my whyte 650b from, my folks live round the corner so its always tempting to swing by and look at what i cant afford. if you do get a turbo youll need to buy the tyre to suit, get a schwalbe.
Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

Well 2014 started out with some doubts but came good in the end , 2015 started out well with over 1000 km ridden by the end of March but has now ended before it's really started as my five year old has been diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia :( treatment is ongoing and generally the outcome looks good but it's going to be a tough journey for the family .

Paul
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Bloody hell! words fail.
The only thing I can say is I wish you all the very best and good health going forwards, all at GSV will be thinking of you and yours.
Richie
GSV Regular

Post by Richie »

Chin up Screwy.... YOur kid will need all the support and morale boosting they can get :gsv:
Life - Its the **** that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come...
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Screwy, this is crushing news. In this country they are doing really well in getting children through this condition. Also, we're talking about a Mini-Screwy, and like you say, he'll tough his way through this with the love and support of the great family he has around him.

Knowing a tiny bit about you I know one thing, you're an endurer and a big hearted guy, okay that's two things.Both those things about you are what will give your little'un strength and comfort. If there was a particular kind of parent that knew how to keep the love, hope, and fun going in the densest of difficulties it would be you and your missus.

Please, when and if you want to, let us know how you're all doing.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Screwy
Advanced Member

Post by Screwy »

Thanks guys ,
I'll try and keep you all up to date as and when I can .
Bad news yesterday , Shaun's leukaemia is not treatable using steroids and chemotherapy which now only leaves a bone marrow transplant as a viable treatment and that means finding a match on the donor register , the consultant doesn't think that will be a problem but it does mean that Shaun's treatment will be very aggressive and may involve radiotherapy and also means that the Leeds General Infirmary will be our second home for the foreseeable future :(

Paul