3d Printers

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Okay, a company called <a href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27412849" target="_blank">Autodesk</a> are going to move into the production of 3D Printers. Here's my prediction, in about two years time we will see 3D Printers bobbing around at the price of about £400.00.

Anyone used a 3D Printer at all?
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Compo
Advanced Member

Post by Compo »

Makes sense for Autodesk to manufacture the printers as this will close the loop with their already well established software (autoCAD) and computer aided manufacture for them and sell on the back of their reputation.

I looked into 3d printing for rapid prototyping a few years ago, very impressive as it was essentially "printing" with coloured plastic wire. The needs for business (this was for an automotive firm) are certainly great but I fail to see the use for one at home. £400 is pretty cheap for one, though as the one I was going to buy was £40k!!!
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

They are already making houses and cars with 3d printers, imagine what we could do with an automated one in a rocket, fire it at the moon, let it grab what it needs locally, build a base and then we go out, this is the begining of terraforming...
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Compo wrote: The needs for business (this was for an automotive firm) are certainly great but I fail to see the use for one at home.
Ooooooh be careful... remember Mr. Gates one-time view of the Internet, or that English professor who said the world would only ever need 5 computers.... or, that other geezer who said that one day computers will weigh less than 1.5 tonnes... :D Okay, the last guy was right but had greatly underestimated future possibilities. :)

I want a 3D printer because I love art but don't have an artistic bone in my body for any of the arts. I could imagine visiting one of these stately homes you can visit as a National Trust member and seeing an ornament or design I like, snapping a photo of it, recreating a 3D CAD of it and so on. They have already developed the types of polymers for different properties within a particular design need.
Trig wrote: They are already making houses and cars with 3d printers, imagine what we could do with an automated one in a rocket, fire it at the moon, let it grab what it needs locally, build a base and then we go out, this is the begining of terraforming...
That is an awesome idea. I really imagine this happening if they learn from the mistakes of the <a href="http://edition.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/ ... metric.02/" target="_blank">NASA Mars Orbiter</a>. You need to get the patent for this Trigster. :)
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Compo
Advanced Member

Post by Compo »

Making a print from a photo could appeal to a hobbyist, i guess. <a href="http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/20/cute-or-c ... d-4269868/" target="_blank">This</a> however is plain creepy......!
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Compo wrote: Making a print from a photo could appeal to a hobbyist, i guess. <a href="http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/20/cute-or-c ... d-4269868/" target="_blank">This</a> however is plain creepy......!
I don't know what it is or why it is, but this definitely creeps me out. It reminds me of that creepy dancing baby animation. I wonder why things like this make us feel like that.If my parents had ever whipped out a plastic copy of me as a fetus, I really wouldn't be impressed...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

What if the model looks cute and the actual baby comes out looking well ugly, with it being America how long before someone get sued?!
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Trig wrote: What if the model looks cute and the actual baby comes out looking well ugly, with it being America how long before someone get sued?!
:lol:

...or, not the colour the "father", doctor, and 3D Printologist were expecting... would there be a refund? :D