Meat & Dementia

Life, the Universe and Everything!

Moderator: Dangerous Bob

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

I eat a lot of meat, especially Pork and Lamb, but this is something to worry about if it ever pans out as true. <a href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26323720" target="_blank">Dementia linked to cooked meat.</a>

I can put up with them taking out of me big chunks of lung, but if my memory and mind was to start going that would be seriously disconcerting... So, if any of this story is true I'll be going to fish only. I had a friend die of Cruetzfeld Jacobs Disease last year, which as we know is linked to "Mad Cow" disease. It's been suggested that he picked it up while visiting a few places in Eastern Europe over the past couple of years - they aren't able to pin it down to any one country.

Are any of you guys vegetarian? How long, and what got you started? :unsure:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Clingy's a veggie, no idea why or what got him started though.
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

Hasn't made a lot of difference to me if you ask my kids....they reckon I have dementia now....certainly I am very forgetful when they ask for money!

I have been "demi-veggie" (I eat fish) for 30 years. Never really enjoyed meat, but did not dislike it and always loved vegetables...so when I met the missis and she was veggie it was an easy decision. But that's when I started to enjoy food and promptly put on weight! Don't miss meat, occassionally abroad I eat it by mistake and it now tastes rancid because of the way my palate has developed. I tend to avoid most of the artificial meat (soya/tvp etc) and have a diet rich in pulses and dairy. Mostly cook Indian dishes at home (which smells like a curry house) because most proper (peasant) Indian food is veggie through either religious or economic reasons.

As to the animal welfare angle....yep that also counts. No particular "beef" with people eating meat, just that our methods of farming can be rather barbaric. Certainly the whole horse meat thing, which seems to be rearing its head again, shows that we don't have a clue where our processed meat comes from.

The only awkward thing when you mention you are Veggie is that people seem to want to either justify eating meat to me or kind of apologise and say they dont eat much meat....as if I care. It's like an they think it's an implied critisism of they lifestyle.
Last edited by Clingy on Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

To be fair chap its the gas that comes out of your arse that offends me more than what you put in your mouth :lol:
Clingy
GSV Regular

Post by Clingy »

...at least the offensive stuff comes out of my a*** not like you! ;)

I was thinking about my last comment....it's like someone telling you they are gay and you says "well I'm not that keen on women..and every Thursday I try and pop down the local gay bar and pick up a boy....I am practically gay myself!"
Last edited by Clingy on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

I just ooze offence, someone even went as far as to describe me as vile the other week, how rude lol
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

A little trick a friend from a deprived country taught me was cooking a combination of foods that taste like meat. In all honesty, I didn't think I heard him right, then when he said it again with the ingredients I really couldn't imagine how that combination could actually taste like meat.

Basically, his suggestion was a combination of Cauliflower, Egg, and breadcrumbs, cooked in vegetable oil. The Cauliflower would be dipped in Egg, then coated with the breadcrumbs. This Egg and breadcrumb coated Cauliflower was then fried.

It's not something I have tried doing myself, but when his wife cooked it for us I was very surprised. It had a meat taste about it, but I couldn't pin it to any particular flavour of meat, possibly because I knew it wasn't meat. But, it did have a meat taste to it. I suppose this sort of meal helps you at least imagine you are eating well, and stretches the use of key foods such as eggs.

Another meal they made, which actually doesn't fit in this thread really, was Egg and Onions. Again, it's a combination I couldn't imagine and wasn't sure would 'work' for me. Anyway, it tasted great. Basically it was scrambled eggs with onions, simple and quick, with an interesting flavour.
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Ahh yeah tricking the mind works with tastes, bbq sauce on cauliflower gives you chicken nuggets...
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Egg & onions, sounds like chinese Foo Yung. one of my favourites... number 42..
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Dangerous Bob wrote: Egg & onions, sounds like chinese Foo Yung. one of my favourites... number 42..
...and 42 is the meaning of life! ...so there is something to these weird foods after all! :blink:

You must tell us where this place is Bob... is it a special Chinese temple on a high mountain in Dorset? Does the proprietor have some sort of mystical name? Do we need to greet him with some special 'Way of the Dragon' handshake, or just bow in some 'Dragon' kinda bowing way? What do we need to do to get "number 42"? :unsure:
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

You have to prove yourself worthy by prying the answer out of the Fortune Cookie of Ultimate Reward with your little toe using the half inch killing kick....

Remember my son, wax on, wax off....
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

[Homer whine]The little toe? I can only do it with the middle toe[/Homer whine] :(