Nas?

Need help or want to hear about latest Tech stuff? It's probably in here!

Moderator: Claw

Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Anyone using a NAS that works with Win8, Android, and possibly other versions of Linux, perhaps Ubuntu?

If you're not sure, are you using a NAS? I'm fed up of work a rounds and bodged fixes, I just to drop a box into my network and it be happy with, if not everything, then enough to make life easier.

So, if you're using a NAS, what is it, please? :)
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Compo
Advanced Member

Post by Compo »

Not exactly a NAS but I managed to get my HP micro server with windows home server 2011 to work well with Linux, mac OSX and windows xp, 7 and 8.1 including android with no issues, most complicated thing was getting the right app on android to read the files over the network. Something like Astro I think. The microserver is always cheap as well, with the £100 cashback, so no more than £150. You just need the OS and a couple of large drives (it does come with a 250 gig drive though). The current one has an AMD N54L CPU. Really recommend it. Fits nicely with my AV system and my network. Oh and with WHS 2011, it does automated Backups....
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

I went from NAS to HP Microserver with WHS as well..
Add to that the stablebit drive scanner and drivepool software and you're onto a winner
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Thanks gents, thought I was having to go on a bit of a trek for this one. All sorted. :th:
Just be a nutter... life becomes much more exciting, and people won't expect anything more of you...
Compo
Advanced Member

Post by Compo »

Good stuff, did you go the microserver route, then?
Trig
GSV Spammer

Post by Trig »

Aye do tell..
Dangerous Bob
GSV Spammer

Post by Dangerous Bob »

Please do, I love having to go to google to figure out what you're talking about..... ;)
andrew
GSV Regular

Post by andrew »

Ive got that stablebit drivepool thingy majig, must say its a doddle to setup and well worth the 15 - 20 quid or whatever it cost :) All set to duplicate, not tried accessing the shared drives from any android device though hmm....

edit: Waited a while for the cheque cashback but it did show up, well happy :)
Last edited by andrew on Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claw
GSV Spammer

Post by Claw »

Well I'm sorted in the sense that I now know what I want, thanks to you guys. I'm also gonna check out Andy's suggestion. Longevity is a big big for me, I don't change structural kit unless absolutely necessary to the point of 'if it ain't broke why change it?' I'm also a horrendous kit hoarder... in my data storage section I found a Qic 80 tape storage drive with about eight cassettes. I've still got everything needed to setup a BNC LAN if ever I wanted to, even a couple of 286's to hook up to it... man, I think I'm due some kinda therapy... :wacko:

What hardware are you using with the Stablebit Drivepool software Andy? From what I've read there's no mention of W8 at the mo.